Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put up the video for my first Indian Head find. You can check it out if you'd like

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5IOrHA6SK8

I also wanted to quickly address this whole CRH video controversy. Now, what I've realized over the past few months is that those who are most likely to be against the videos are half dollar searchers. One thing I'd like to point out to you all is that I do not make half dollar hunting videos. The reason being, HALF DOLLARS COST A LOT OF MONEY AND THEY PRODUCE NOTHING FOR SMALLSCALE HUNTERS LIKE ME. It takes some serious dedication to hunt half dollars, and I know that many of you on here have this dedication. However, I do not make videos for the type of people that are intrigued by making a quick buck. I make videos for those who are interested in old coins and collecting and the thrill of the hunt. Sure, a V-nickel or a common date Indian head penny may not be worth much, but they sure are fun to find. And that's why I make videos. What's even better than finding these coins is sharing them with people who give me feedback. Out of all of my videos, the coin roll hunting ones get the best response and activity and feedback. So that's why I do this. I do not believe that my particular videos are endangering this hobby in any way and I would appreciate it if you would all stop comparing my videos to that guy that uses the five magic words to get silver. If you don't believe that my videos and his video are different from each other, that's probably because you've never actually watched one of my videos.

That is all.
-Ryan

Upvote 0

Element

Apr 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ryan, I just watched your video, thanks for posting. I agree with you; I'm not into CRH as a way to make money, I'm doing it on a small scale and I'm more interested in the history of the old coins and the enjoyment of the thrill of the hunt. You never know what might turn up, and that's kind of the whole point! Precious metals, old coins, foreign coins, errors ... it's all interesting and you can always learn something new while adding to your collection.

I find plenty of US coins here in Canada, too. I'm learning lots of new info about the US, especially with the state quarters and National Parks coins!

Congratulations on the Indian Head! That's a great find, and it's always sweet when you get a new "oldest" find. I found a 1938 King George nickel this week, the oldest one I've found so far. I liked your 1957 CAN penny, too. They are getting rarer - the Royal Canadian Mint is in the process of melting them all down.

P.S. - Elizabeth II was crowned queen in 1953, so that was the first year her portrait appeared on Canadian coins.
Faces of the Monarch

Last edited:

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
rryang
A video about CRH is a video about CRH regardless of the denomination. You are not going to change anyone's view about it being right or wrong good or bad for the hobby.
You obviously are going to keep doing your thing. There is no need to try to change peoples views.
Personally, I think it is bad for the hobby. But, this is America and you have the right to continue producing.
This is a forum for CRH hobbyist to post their finds and discuss the hobby the good and bad.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple people around my area have found out about crh from youtube videos, needless to say haven't been finding much silver, or anything good for that matter actually. Kind of a shame, it sorta ruins the hobby for me and wastes gas money lol not hating on your video, but when you have tellers telling you they saw videos on coin roll hunting and don't give you anything it sucks, sometimes however if they're nice they'll hold onto some good stuff and give it to you (happened once).

If you search coin roll hunting on Youtube there's already a ton of videos with thousands of views on them, so I guess it really doesn't matter if you post videos unless it goes viral or some crazy thing.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Indian head. Don't worry about the negative comments on making youtube videos. If you enjoy making them then you go right ahead and continue making them. Nobody has the right to tell you that you can't make them.

My last Indian head find was a 1896 and very worn. It's been about 6 months since I found my last one. They seem to come in spurts for me. I found 3 within a month and then I go almost a yearand am still waiting to find my next one.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no need to explain yourself, rryanq...you keep making those videos! I happen to love them! Like you, I roll hunt for the thrill of finding older stuff and profit means squat to me. I am sure the ones that aren't out to profit feel the same way we do. I mean come on...you know how much of a thrill was it to find that Indian Head. That is what makes it fun!

To those of that are whining about the videos, all I say is oh well...suck it up. With so many videos out there, you might as well quit complaining, because this "secret" hobby was never secret to begin with. Try to be a bit less greedy and approach the hobby as a fun pastime instead of a money-making thing. You'll feel much better.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im here like, lol. Some people think CRH is a business.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No explanation needed on the videos - film away! Unless you live in Las Vegas - in that case, knock it off cuz it directly effects my CRHing competition & pickup/dump banks. (Don't bother asking which bank, cuz I use them all and have good relationships with them). Oh, and if you are in New York, Ohio, N or S California, Michigan, Florida, New Jersey, Washington, Colorado, Georgia, Virginia, Texas, or N Carolina, other hunters on here might not be too receptive of your videos either. Thanks!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Congratulations on the Indian head. Don't worry about the negative comments on making youtube videos. If you enjoy making them then you go right ahead and continue making them. Nobody has the right to tell you that you can't make them.

My last Indian head find was a 1896 and very worn. It's been about 6 months since I found my last one. They seem to come in spurts for me. I found 3 within a month and then I go almost a yearand am still waiting to find my next one.

Most certainly do have a right
doesnt mean he has to listen

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Couple people around my area have found out about crh from youtube videos, needless to say haven't been finding much silver, or anything good for that matter actually. Kind of a shame, it sorta ruins the hobby for me and wastes gas money lol not hating on your video, but when you have tellers telling you they saw videos on coin roll hunting and don't give you anything it sucks, sometimes however if they're nice they'll hold onto some good stuff and give it to you (happened once).

If you search coin roll hunting on Youtube there's already a ton of videos with thousands of views on them, so I guess it really doesn't matter if you post videos unless it goes viral or some crazy thing.

Exactly,videos are an epidemic, its no wonder everyones finds are down.
i actually dont have an issue with videos, just password protected them or makwe them link only availability, this way you only share with fellow hunters, and dudes surfing online dont stumble onto them and get a bright idea

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly,videos are an epidemic, its no wonder everyones finds are down.
i actually dont have an issue with videos, just password protected them or makwe them link only availability, this way you only share with fellow hunters, and dudes surfing online dont stumble onto them and get a bright idea

Everyone's finds are down because they haven't made silver coins since 1970. Plus they add more clad every year by billions of coins. It's simple math why finds go down. The only reason we find silver is because somebody was dumb enough to to dump it back into circulation. Blaming CRH videos for declining finds is silly. There is no statistical evidence that they are related.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find on the IH and the capped die, nice finding a penny worth $30.00 bucks or more. I used to search pennies years ago I actually have well over a thousand wheat pennies and probably 30 or so I H. I found my oldest coin to date a few weeks ago also, it was an 1846 seated half. I just have not had any time to post it. I do hunt for the thrill of the hunt and also to keep all of the unique old coins that I find, always have. But I do also profit from the hobby too. I know your videos are not a threat to me or what I do, but I do think videos in general just are not good as it is how I found out about this hobby when I was clueless about it. Good video Ryan, but again where is Laine?:tongue3: HH, Maverick.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
rrysnq: I do hope that in your videos that besides finding silver coins, that you also spend some time stressing the negative downfalls of CRH'g; such as gas, time, wear & tear on the car, cash flow outlay, patience, SKUNKS many times than never, and most of all "REJECTION" of not finding AG after boxes & boxes. Your viewers should be made aware of this besides all the Cake & Icecream of finding silver as how you stress as being so easy.
Tell it like it is, but don't glorify the hobby with just the GLAMOR of the find. Don't make a video like it was back in the 1849 GOLD RUSH in California. Yes it's a hobby for everyone to try, but tell both sides of the story.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Billions of Coins????????

Half mintage 2014-roughly 7 million
2013- roughly 10 million
2012- roughly 5 million
Finds are down bc thr amount of hunters has skyrocketed. There is the same amount of silver being put back into the system today as there was 10 years ago, only difference is more and more people are pulling it. You could make the case that there is even more silver being put into the system today given the fact that many banks today now have coin machines. Much harder for the tellers to cull it if its already in the machine bag rather then a lose roll they get.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billions of Coins????????

Half mintage 2014-roughly 7 million
2013- roughly 10 million
2012- roughly 5 million
Finds are down bc thr amount of hunters has skyrocketed. There is the same amount of silver being put back into the system today as there was 10 years ago, only difference is more and more people are pulling it. You could make the case that there is even more silver being put into the system today given the fact that many banks today now have coin machines. Much harder for the tellers to cull it if its already in the machine bag rather then a lose roll they get.

I wasn't simply talking about half dollars. The billions I was speaking about are all the dimes and quarters that were made also. Not everyone searches only halves

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the IH and the capped die, nice finding a penny worth $30.00 bucks or more. I used to search pennies years ago I actually have well over a thousand wheat pennies and probably 30 or so I H. I found my oldest coin to date a few weeks ago also, it was an 1846 seated half. I just have not had any time to post it. I do hunt for the thrill of the hunt and also to keep all of the unique old coins that I find, always have. But I do also profit from the hobby too. I know your videos are not a threat to me or what I do, but I do think videos in general just are not good as it is how I found out about this hobby when I was clueless about it. Good video Ryan, but again where is Laine?:tongue3: HH, Maverick.

Haha Maverick, I'm sure she would appreciate you urging me to get her into a video. She has been asking me to do more videos with her lately. Well, I'm about to go back home since I just finished up the semester here at UofM so I'm sure her and I will be making more videos together this summer. Hopefully metal detecting and outdoorsy stuff! Also, I have been missing your updates. I'd love to see a picture of that seated half, that's amazing!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha Maverick, I'm sure she would appreciate you urging me to get her into a video. She has been asking me to do more videos with her lately. Well, I'm about to go back home since I just finished up the semester here at UofM so I'm sure her and I will be making more videos together this summer. Hopefully metal detecting and outdoorsy stuff! Also, I have been missing your updates. I'd love to see a picture of that seated half, that's amazing!

I'm going to try and do an update post this weekend, been crazy busy here with my rings, coins, mowing service, kids, cars, health ect.... HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions