My best single day total

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
After my 13 skunk boxes in a row and finding 8 silver on my hunt yesterday I decided to take $1,000 and head to a small town I hadn't been to before. My main buy bank recently bought 14 branches of another bank and the account I setup at a new bank came in very handy today.

Bank 1 had no halves.

Bank 2 was a branch of my new bank. The teller was very nice until I told her I wanted to buy a bunch of halves. She said "We know you people who buy allot of halves just look for silver to sell on the Internet and thats not what we get halves for. We had to put a stop to a guy who was doing that a while back." I wanted to calm her down a bit and told her I have never sold any halves on the Internet (Which is true) and I am trying to fill the holes in my coin binder (Also true). She said she was not going to give me her whole box of halves and I could have $300 worth. She asked if I had an account and I was glad I could say yes. She said OK and she would get my $200 in halves. I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to remind her she initially offered me $300 and just took the $200 and left. No silver but I did find a 74-D DDO.

74DDO.jpg

Bank 3 had a very nice teller and asked how many halves I wanted. I told her $500 and she got them for me. These were bank rolled not FED rolled. I found 64x2, 66x2, 67x7, 68-Dx4, and 69-Dx2.

RollBank2.jpg

No more banks in this town but I still had $300 left so I told my wife we were going to a another small town and see if I could find another $300 worth.

Bank 4 was an interesting stop. Another very nice teller which always helps. She said she had 1 roll and they had 1 roll in the vault. I asked about the counting machine bag and she said she could probably sell those to me. She said they had $715 in the bag which took me by surprise because every other bank I've been in pulls the bag at $500. I was also thinking I'm screwed because I only have $300 and I'll miss out on this stash. Then I come to my senses and remember this is a new branch of my main buy bank so they can pull the extra money out of my savings account. I told her I'd take it and she gives me the "I'm not sure I should sell it to you because they have been in there a long time and the count may not be accurate." Now I really wanted them and told her I understand it may be off but I'll take it anyway. She said she would run it through the machine again for a recount, it would make her feel better. Since the machine was right in front of me I said OK. Another teller starts dumping the halves into the machine and stops to pull a small tray out that had a half in it. The nice teller tells her the machine dumps the pure silver ones into the reject tray, my excitement starts to fade away. I asked if I could also buy the ones in the reject tray and she said sure. At the end 6 had fallen into the reject tray and she dumped it back into the hopper and they all went through to the bag. I asked her about the halves going through the second time and she said they must not have been pure silver. I ended up with $745 total from this bank. No 64 or older halves so it must work well picking out pure silver, but it did let me have 65x1, 66x2, 67x4, 68-Dx7, 69-Dx2, my first 70-D (Yeah), and my first 82-P no initials.

70D.jpg
82NoFG.jpg

BagBank3.jpg

I know 34 silver is a bad days total for many here, but that combined with the 70-D, 74-D DDO, and an 82-P no FG makes it my best day so far.

Upvote 0

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
34 silvers in one day is a great result for the small amount that you searched.How many miles did you have to travel to get to all the banks?

When I go on a roadtrip(rare anymore),I would have to go through twice the amount you searched to find only 1/4 the silver you found!And I bet I would have to travel a lot more miles than you did to get that(which is why I don't do it anymore).At some point I had to consider the amount of fuel I was running through my truck and when I did,it took all the fun out of it :'(.

When you spend 5 hours out of a precious Saturday off and spend $30-$40 in fuel to end up with $7.50-$10.50 worth of 40% halves($2.50-$3.50 face value),it really takes the wind out of your sails :'(.

Not to mention the $1,500-$2,000 in rejects that I had to go through to find those and now have to roll back up and find a bunch of banks to dump them at(more fuel).

This is a fun hobby,but it used to be a lot more fun.

Now about that rude teller who didn't want to sell you HER halves.Does she not realize that she can order as many boxes as she wants?She made it sound like it was the last box on earth and that there was a huge demand for them at that branch.

I'm surprised that they even had a box there that didn't have someones name on it already(ordered by a hunter),I never find banks with shotgun rolls in the vault.Well actually I do,but they are already opened and searched and re-wrapped in the shotgun roll :'(.I still buy them anyway because I have found some 40%er's this way and believe it or not the occasional 90% as well :o.

I wonder if the guy who they "caught" searching rolls and selling on ebay is a reader of this site ???.

Where do tellers come up with this stuff?Unless SHE has seen this site or one of the other CRH "how to" sites.Maybe that's where she got her intel...By the way,even at this late hour,there are 2 MEMBERS and 18 GUESTS viewing this site...

Still doesn't give her the right to limit your access to coin/currency that you need/request of YOUR bank.IT'S her JOB!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I'm surprised she didn't accuse you of being a money launderer also. We don't get any respect.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I'll take 34 silvers all day long - that is a sweet 70!! Congrats!
It burns me when a teller acts like they own the place.
Just bite your bleeding tongue and asked the same question to the pretty teller 2 windows down!

....then hit the drive thru!

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks everybody. I actually am very happy with the 34 silver. There have been some really big finds reported recently so when I set my 34 next to awhitster's 439 or most of LJ's lunch runs it doesn't have the same WOW factor, but I'm still really happy with it.

schramm - I drove about 100 miles round trip. We combined it with some garage sale stops my wife wanted to make so it was a duel purpose trip. I don't do as many road trips as I'd like to, but I have much better luck than with boxes when I do.

Arogers - the 82-P, 83-P, and 90-P all have a known error where the initials FG are missing between the eagles tail and left leg (to the right of the tail looking at the coin). The letters have to be completely gone to be the error coin.

I'm not sure why this teller was so anti-CRHer. This guy must have done or said something to her that she didn't like and now she is out to get us all. Before I left she did say I could have a box ordered for a $5 fee. I don't pay anything for my boxes and have had 2 other banks offer to order me boxes with no fee, so I said no thank you.

I've had a few tellers that have told me they need to limit the halves they give me in case a business asks for some, or they need to have some on hand for this or that. I have yet to find a business looking for halves or even wanting any in their cash drawer. Everybody knows that 5th spot in the change row is for paper clips, not money. Several tellers have thanked me for taking "those things" off their hands so I'm not sure why some banks are so possessive with them.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I know 34 silver is a bad days total for many here

You're wrong. 34 is a very good number!! Nice haul!

I agree with FB....34 silver is good anyday!! Good job Fropa. A special kudos on that elusive 1970....that's a special one.

Don't get discouraged with rude tellers. You will run into them every so often. People that complain, whine, moan and groan are more than likely just folks that are unhappy with themselves/their lives.....Most are very helpful and willing to help. Keep plugging away Fropa.....

Thanks for the pictures too.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fropa said:
......I wanted to buy a bunch of halves. She said "We know you people who buy allot of halves just look for silver to sell on the Internet and thats not what we get halves for. We had to put a stop to a guy who was doing that a while back."

When I run into a teller with an attitude or one who does not want to sell to me because I am not a customer this is what I have done twice.

I look for someone that looks in charge. I tell them that I just bought a house on such&such street and escrow is closing in two weeks. I am checking out new banks to see what their customer service is like and this is how I do it and I am not happy, are all tellers like that one over there? I basically let them know they lost and then leave. ;D ;D ;)

OP
OP
F

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Thanks again everybody. I have had many more very nice/helpful tellers than the rude one so I just head to the next bank and figure I got the bad one out of the way for the day.

cyberdan, that response to a bad teller would be great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread