Fountain soda? Thatll be 75 cents please.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Fountain soda? That'll be 75 cents please.

And so the foreign man paid me with a single dollar bill. And what a mighty bill it was. 20160503_002754.jpg
20160503_002741.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
A Barr note in change? Amazing!

I worded it a little confusing sorry. A guy came into the store and bought a 75 cent fountain soda and paid with this. I work a register at a local gas station during evenings/overnight. You can bet I danced a little as his back was turned after seeing that signature.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UGotIt, the significance of the note is that Joseph Barr served as Secretary of the Treasury for a VERY short period of time. His signature never made it to any of the higher notes so you can only find it on the $1 bill and therefore there isn't an abundance of them. I believe they currently go for 4 to 5 times face value for uncirculated (feel free to correct me here guys). I also think it was only on $1 notes with the branch-letters B, E, G, J, and L. Finding one in circulation is a sweet find indeed.
More Info:
Joseph W. Barr was the 59th Secretary of the Treasury and served under President Lyndon B. Johnson from Dec. 12, 1968 to Jan. 20, 1969. This was the last 28 days of the Johnson Administration.

Hope that helps :)

-TwoYewts

Last edited:

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
UGotIt, the significance of the note is that Joseph Barr served as Secretary of the Treasury for a VERY short period of time. His signature never made it to any of the higher notes so you can only find it on the $1 bill and therefore there isn't an abundance of them. I believe they currently go for 4 to 5 times face value for uncirculated (feel free to correct me here guys). I also think it was only on $1 notes with the branch-letters B, E, G, J, and L. Finding one in circulation is a sweet find indeed.
More Info:
Joseph W. Barr was the 59th Secretary of the Treasury and served under President Lyndon B. Johnson from Dec. 12, 1968 to Jan. 20, 1969. This was the last 28 days of the Johnson Administration.

Hope that helps :)

-TwoYewts

cool
thanks for the info

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one in change at a fast food drive thru a few years back. First and only I've seen since I was a kid in the 1970's. Not much value at all in a circulated example, but a neat find.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, and I learned something new today I have never heard of a barr note before I will now be on the lookout for them. HH, Maverick.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many Barr Notes over the Years. (1970's)
But that said, $1.00 Barr notes in Circulation today, means someone dug into their Savings.
$1.00 bills don't last that long in circulation anymore

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I dont what to brag but back in the 60's when the BARR notes came out, my mom knowing that my dad & I were into coin collecting managed to buy at the local bank a $25 stack of NEW CRISP notes, all in serial # sequence. She gave them to my to hold for a long time, "maybe they will be worth $2 each someday". Still have them in a flat envelope, like if they were printed YESTERDAY. Thanks mom.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Alan Herbert's Coin Clinic, 484 million were printed. Barr may have only been Secty of Treasury for 23 days, but the plates with his signature were used for six months after he left office.

Herbert says Barr notes were one of the most blatant examples of rarity hype, citing Chicago dealer Leonard Stark for creating the impression they were "difficult to find".

Doesn't mean finding one now isn't pretty cool.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some of those BARR's tucked away-------I haven't looked at them in years but I think I know where they are.:laughing7:
There was some deal with two dollar bills where I took them to the post office and got them stamped. Forgot what that was ablut but still have them.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions