TD bank officially retires Penny Arcade

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I do use TD as my dump bank for halves, nickel, and penny. Now I can switch them as a buy bank for nickel, dime, and penny boxes.

This will hurt silver recovery for us CRHers. Nowadays most tellers are well informed because of rampant Youtube videos. When old coins come into the banks, tellers can quickly check the rolls, especially the half dollar rolls, and intercept any goodies right there. Previously all coins go into Penny Arcade so silver coins go into the bags then come back inside the boxes.

Most experienced CRHers never dump dimes into Penny Arcade anyway. It is the general mass who don't know the miscounting. We know for a long time that Penny will count dimes as pennies, otherwise they would be named as Dimer Arcade instead of Penny Arcade. :tongue3::tongue3:

Upvote 0

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
4 rolls of dimes and 5 rolls of nickels produced:

2 - 1940 nickels
1 - 1941 nickel
1 - 1947 nickel
1 - 1954 nickel
1 - 1956D nickel
1 - MWR of 2016 dimes (the only one of the 9 rolls not CWR)

The 1954 was the rarest of the bunch with less than 50MM produced. Not all that great but at least there's still some old nickels in those CWR. Just don't expect to find pre-Jeffersons or even silver Rosies like we do with the sealed boxes. I didn't need any of the above coins but will pull them out of circulation. Not sure yet what to do with the 2016 roll yet.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I missing something here? Why are we blaming a guy for taking TD to task for being shortchanged? He had every right to take them to task.

To me it's more about the lawsuit-happy culture we're in vs. anything else. And now we lost a valuable resource as a result.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me it's more about the lawsuit-happy culture we're in vs. anything else. And now we lost a valuable resource as a result.

Fair enough...I do think we as a society are too sue happy. I just think using him is probably not the best example to make the case.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair enough...I do think we as a society are too sue happy. I just think using him is probably not the best example to make the case.

I, like others here, have been shorted money on occasion by the PCs, but then we've also been on the receiving end of extra money, too, thanks to the reject chutes & magnets, etc. In all I am probably still up more money than I lost over the years.

Never once did I think about suing the bank over any shortage, but it only takes 1 person...

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I have to close my TD account. I wonder how many CRHs accounts they lost? Only reason i used them was for the Penny arcade.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've pulled lots of silver from Penny arcade, sure going to miss her... Lol

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you all think TD and PNC shutting their machines down will affect our CRH finds, if at all? This, as has been expressed in this thread, is going to put a lot of CRHers out of business.

My question is will this cause less dilution of the CRH supply since there will be less dumping or will the effect not be significant? Or will muggles stop turning their coins in since it's less convenient to get rid of them? Will more people turn in silver CWR instead since they can't put them through the machines? Will our box finds increase or decrease?

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you all think TD and PNC shutting their machines down will affect our CRH finds, if at all? ........Will our box finds increase or decrease?

My guess it will decrease! Cause the tellers now can check/quick peek the rolls.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess it will decrease! Cause the tellers now can check/quick peek the rolls.

So I can only speak about the TD that I just came from.. My friend is the vault teller there and she said they can accept any amount of rolled coin.. no bags.. they can accept a small amount of unrolled. Now here is the interesting part... they can give out MWR to customers but no CWR. She has to accept it, bag it and ship it every Tuesday to Garda like clock work... so for me it works out to where they can be my main dump bank and at least I can buy boxes of dimes, nickels or pennies.. No halves...

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well both PNC and TD use garda in my area. People will be most likely be forced to dump at different banks who are likely to be serviced by other curriers such as brinks, dunbar, or loomis. On the other hand, CWR's will be more readily available so our chances of finding CWR halves will be greater-- as long as the tellers don't know or don't care about silver. For the time being I think our boxes will produce normally but there may be supply issues down the road since TD was a major supplier to garda/brinks (as Liu22 has seen firsthand).
Time will tell but for now we should be okay.

How do you all think TD and PNC shutting their machines down will affect our CRH finds, if at all? This, as has been expressed in this thread, is going to put a lot of CRHers out of business.

My question is will this cause less dilution of the CRH supply since there will be less dumping or will the effect not be significant? Or will muggles stop turning their coins in since it's less convenient to get rid of them? Will more people turn in silver CWR instead since they can't put them through the machines? Will our box finds increase or decrease?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting, I was actually going to talk to a few local TD Banks and have them save me any CWR they get if they can spare it, I think my chances of getting a collection dump would be greater then since there are no other hunters that I know of in my area.
So I can only speak about the TD that I just came from.. My friend is the vault teller there and she said they can accept any amount of rolled coin.. no bags.. they can accept a small amount of unrolled. Now here is the interesting part... they can give out MWR to customers but no CWR. She has to accept it, bag it and ship it every Tuesday to Garda like clock work... so for me it works out to where they can be my main dump bank and at least I can buy boxes of dimes, nickels or pennies.. No halves...

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it depends on the denomination. With all the penny machines out of commission everyone still associated with TD will have to turn in their coin by the roll instead of dumping. Though I do agree that half rolls, dime and even quarter rolls will surely be checked by the rim for AG, I do think Its upped the odds of finding good nickel and cent cwr. (Solid wheat rolls, more buffs/wars etc.)

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from my experience, It ups the chance of more silver. Let me tell you why, We all know TD Bank's Penny arcade rejects silvers, most of them anyways long as they're serviced and calibrated. Most of the TD Banks I've been to are pretty busy, so i dont think a teller has the time to check every roll on the spot. with that said, There will be some that gets sniped, but i believe MOST of the silver going into the bank will end up at a sort/wrap facility. sadly I wont be at my job long enough to see it, unless TD banks starts shipping out coins by the millions this coming week.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people in this class action lawsuit against TD will recover little if anything, and they didn't lose much in the first place. This is all about making money for class action lawyers. I don't think TD was trying to cheat anyone, and now we are all out of luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread