TD bank officially retires Penny Arcade

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

I do use TD as my dump bank for halves, nickel, and penny. Now I can switch them as a buy bank for nickel, dime, and penny boxes.

This will hurt silver recovery for us CRHers. Nowadays most tellers are well informed because of rampant Youtube videos. When old coins come into the banks, tellers can quickly check the rolls, especially the half dollar rolls, and intercept any goodies right there. Previously all coins go into Penny Arcade so silver coins go into the bags then come back inside the boxes.

Most experienced CRHers never dump dimes into Penny Arcade anyway. It is the general mass who don't know the miscounting. We know for a long time that Penny will count dimes as pennies, otherwise they would be named as Dimer Arcade instead of Penny Arcade. :tongue3::tongue3:

Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Well that explains why I lost $30 on that machine when I was hunting dimes for a small period of time in mid 2014. Ah well. At least the masses will no longer be ripped off of their dime money count.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I HATE Jeffrey Feinman!!!

TD Bank to customers: 'Keep the change'
The consumer bank is discontinuing its popular coin-counting arcades after complaints about their accuracy.
Jon Marino | @JonMarino
5 Hours Ago CNBC.com

Now, TD Bank says, you can keep the change.

The bank is getting rid of its coin-counting machines, after being sued in New York by a man who claimed he was short-changed. The man, Jeffrey Feinman, filed suit in April, when local news reports highlighted incorrect TD Bank machines, leading to the firm's decision to take some out of commission.

"Recent accounts regarding the performance of our penny machines have led us to reassess this offering," Michael Rhodes, head of TD Bank's consumer bank, said in a statement. "We have determined that it is difficult to ensure a consistently great experience for our customers... we have decided to retire the [coin-counting] fleet and provide alternative coin-counting solutions to our customers."

Rhodes also acknowledged that usage of the bank's coin counting machines has declined "steadily" over the years. Despite complaints, and the lawsuit against TD Bank, the company said it had tested penny machines daily and provided routine maintenance.

TD Bank had operated more than 1,000 of the machines at banks from Maine to Florida, according to its statement.

The bank will keep taking pre-rolled coins, and other options abound for people looking to turn in coins by the bucket rather than by the roll. PNC Bank, as well as Coinstar, which are at various retailers' locations, are still taking coins.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This sucks! I had 2 TD banks within 10 minutes of my house that took $500 in halves and the tellers at both locations knew me and never gave me a problem. I'm still a little nervous about going back to bag dumping because of what happened to me twice a year or so ago.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's official. TD Bank says goodbye to coin counters

This is what we get in our lawsuit-happy country. I really had no problem with Penny. If the count seemed off the tellers were always generous about taking my word for it and making up the difference.

There are now no other banks in my area with coin counters that the public can use, so I am mostly screwed as far as CRH is concerned. No more fun reject chute finds either. I will still look into teller trays for any promising loose halves, but that is about it. I really don't want to re-roll halves and deposit them. At least I can close my account and get back the $100 that I have maintained there for the minimum balance.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as branches regularly cleaned the magnet and maintain the equipment the machines I used rarely were off. It's those locations that didn't keep up with their maintenance that caused the most issues.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would imagine that TD Bank would still have to accept rolled coins. Sucks that they will no longer have coin machines though.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I would imagine that TD Bank would still have to accept rolled coins. Sucks that they will no longer have coin machines though.

Yeah, I amassed a nice collection of foreigns via their magnet. Guess it's time to stock up on coin wrappers.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Guys, the other day at work i saw bags of P.A from TD Bank, but they had CWR coins in them. some of them looked crimped, but they were all after market wraps... Maybe some TD banks started accepting rolled coins?

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Guys, the other day at work i saw bags of P.A from TD Bank, but they had CWR coins in them. some of them looked crimped, but they were all after market wraps... Maybe some TD banks started accepting rolled coins?

Yes, they have. I deposited about $12 in pennies the other day with the cashier.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have to accept small customer deposits of rolled coins. As to whether they accept boxes and boxes of crh dumps, that's a different story.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told today while I was dumping my bags that since Garda will no longer pick up the coin machine bags, they might not be picking up customer bags either.

It's still up in the air, and they will know something definite in a week or two.

I'm going to start looking at other banks to do bag dumps at. Hopefully I can open an account or two strictly for that.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm.. that definitely puts a damper on me especially bc I had 4 TD'S with coincounter on a 20 mile radius.. I was really hoping they bring her back.. now I guess I may see about a CU or open up another acct with a different bank to be able to dump..

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago, I deposited about $170 in rolled coin at TD. No problems. I wonder if removing the machines will affect getting the coinstar fee reimbursement from TD.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago, I deposited about $170 in rolled coin at TD. No problems. I wonder if removing the machines will affect getting the coinstar fee reimbursement from TD.

That is a good question.. right now they have limited the coinstar processing fee reimbursement to $50 a month. Thinkin now that may go away...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, since td is retiring penny arcade I bet TD will do away with the coin star reimbursement within the next few weeks if they haven't done so already. They don't want anything to do with coin counting anymore, and that includes all the costs associated with it.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to my world. The only coin counting machine (other than coin star) within 100 miles of me is a cu that charges everyone even members. I have more dump banks than pick up banks. Only a few will take full boxes, and they will only take one a month. Finding paper wrappers is sometimes a chore. I have pick up banks that will order me as many boxes as I want. I only do 3 to 4 boxes a week becouse I can not find a way to dump more. I spend way more time figuring out dumps than pick ups.
I do always have a few banks for cwr and teller tray finds around my dump banks. In the last week I did get real lucky with 2 of them finding 65 silver halves in 16 cwr.
Also, I have no banks around me that will except bags either.
This month is my first 100+ silver halves month of the year and it is only the 21st so I can not complain.
I love this hobby.
HH everyone

Last edited:

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD bank is accepting up to $50 of rolled coin, but I closed my account today so whatever. I saw a memo instructing the branches to send in all rejected coins.

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up some nickel and dime rolls today from TDB and got mostly CWR. Haven't opened them yet but this should get interesting (and maybe not in a good way).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread