Coolest thing Ive ever found CRHing (with pics)

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Coolest thing I've ever found CRH'ing (with pic's)

I've found gold coins, Barbers, blank planchets and to me this one tops them all. I opened a box today that had 44 total bicentennial enders, not a good sign. I managed 17 NIFC's, 1 Proof, a 2010 Balboa (hadn't found a Balboa is quite a while) and one super worn 'good luck' coin. As I'm rifling through these in super high speed I spot a '76 with a funny mark on the back. I put it down and finish the box. After the box I look at it and find that there's no damage on the obverse that matches up with the mark on the reverse. I start thinking maybe this is struck through a foreign object which is super cool. I grab the micro scope and it looks like a brad or staple and IT'S STILL RETAINED IN THE COIN! I can't find a lot on the internet thus far but I am absolutely stoked. The staple is clearly before the die's hit the blank as the letters and stars are stamped in the dang staple, how cool is that?

At comments are appreciated. I'm dying to learn more about this. Will continue to search the internet but had to post it here as well.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Did not think it would be worth that much, that's amazing! I need to start paying closer attention to the coins I search! Great find!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
WOW! Did not think it would be worth that much, that's amazing! I need to start paying closer attention to the coins I search! Great find!
I got really lucky to find it. The box had 44 AU-BU bicentennial Enders so it was certainly a recent collection dump. I was flying through the coins as the box was extra skunky. I caught a quick glimpse that I didn't look right as I was rifling through and tossed the coin to the side without much thought. Once I finished the box I looked at it again and wasn't sure what was going on. I broke out the microscope and realized what I had. Had the wife and kids look at it and told this is the coolest thing we'd found but I don't think they believed me. Very lucky to have seen it.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
It's such an amazing find. I'm still very impressed man!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such an awesome find Twitch!

I've never sent in a coin myself... But would this be a good candidate to send into a grading service like pcgs?

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just never know what you're going to find. I'm sure that coin was in and out of a bunch of people's hands and they never thought twice about what an awesome and valuable coin they had. Nice eye on pulling it out and at least thinking you had something possibly worth looking at. Well worth the time and effort......

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm voting Banner. I'm no expert, but $500 seems pretty modest. I think the top-dog error collectors would really duke it out for this coin. It's better than gold.. Congrats! Twitch, I love the point in your avatar pic.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm voting Banner. I'm no expert, but $500 seems pretty modest. I think the top-dog error collectors would really duke it out for this coin. It's better than gold.. Congrats! Twitch, I love the point in your avatar pic.
Thanks.

I found that point in Pike Co Illinois. I found it just as in the picture and waited about 5 minutes to pull it out. Was sure the other ear and/or base would be damaged but it's perfect. Hard to believe the needle tip survived the plow.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
UPDATE - I got this coin back from NGC today and it graded MS-64 with the struck through and retained staple. Very pleased with the grade

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I still think about this find sometimes, so neat! Never know what you're going to find.

You gonna hold onto it or put it in an auction? I'd have a hard time letting go of it myself.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I still think about this find sometimes, so neat! Never know what you're going to find.

You gonna hold onto it or put it in an auction? I'd have a hard time letting go of it myself.

Avago - thanks, it's one I'm real pleased I found. Probably I'll hold on to it. If I sold it I think I could get a pretty penny for it but, c'mon, I'm never going to find another one of these so I'll probably keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_4413.JPG
    IMG_4413.JPG
    822.9 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

TxAg

May 7, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, thanks for the update Twitch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread