Coolest thing Ive ever found CRHing (with pics)

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Coolest thing I've ever found CRH'ing (with pic's)

I've found gold coins, Barbers, blank planchets and to me this one tops them all. I opened a box today that had 44 total bicentennial enders, not a good sign. I managed 17 NIFC's, 1 Proof, a 2010 Balboa (hadn't found a Balboa is quite a while) and one super worn 'good luck' coin. As I'm rifling through these in super high speed I spot a '76 with a funny mark on the back. I put it down and finish the box. After the box I look at it and find that there's no damage on the obverse that matches up with the mark on the reverse. I start thinking maybe this is struck through a foreign object which is super cool. I grab the micro scope and it looks like a brad or staple and IT'S STILL RETAINED IN THE COIN! I can't find a lot on the internet thus far but I am absolutely stoked. The staple is clearly before the die's hit the blank as the letters and stars are stamped in the dang staple, how cool is that?

At comments are appreciated. I'm dying to learn more about this. Will continue to search the internet but had to post it here as well.

Thanks for looking,
Joe

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
with pics

Attachments

• IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    707.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_2667.JPG
    IMG_2667.JPG
    698 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2665.JPG
    IMG_2665.JPG
    396.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    863.8 KB · Views: 261

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup! Twitch, that's cooler than cool! Never seen anything close. Nice find. I wouldn't say it beats gold, but on an awesomemometer, it's off the charts awesome!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice retained strike thru! That should be worth a few bucks!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Very cool error coin for sure. I'm not convinced it's better than a gold coin, however.
Grats to ya on such an amazing once in a lifetime find. Do let us know what a value would be on such an oddity and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks for all the comments and, ok maybe it's not cooler than a gold coin, but for me it's close. If I can get any info on value I'll update this thread. Struggling this far to find anything. I did see a link with a 1966 penny with the exact same staple imbedded in it but I couldn't find a value any where. I would like to know where the staple is from....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twitch,

Neat finds....you may want to try one of the coin forums to get an idea as to value.

Regards + HH

Bill

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice retained strike thru! That should be worth a few bucks!

I agree wholeheartedly that it is indeed a "Retained Strike Through" Error! You can easily see where the design elements were struck over the offending piece, whatever it is. Sends some pics to Mike Diamond at [email protected] to get his assessment as well and see if he can give you an idea of value.

Congrats on a truly nice Error Coin!

Frank

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coolest thing I've ever found CRH'ing (with pic's)

That's crazy!

~Tejaas~

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I agree wholeheartedly that it is indeed a "Retained Strike Through" Error! You can easily see where the design elements were struck over the offending piece, whatever it is. Sends some pics to Mike Diamond at [email protected] to get his assessment as well and see if he can give you an idea of value.

Congrats on a truly nice Error Coin!

Frank

Thanks Frank. I'll forward some pictures the contact listed. I appreciate the help.

Joe

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome coin Twitch. In my opinion, I would value yours more than the Franklin simply because you actually see the stamped stars and letters on top of the staple instead of the strike through just being on a plain open area of the coin. Sweet, sweet find!

-TwoYewts

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Talked a couple of folks far more knowledgable than myself and the consensus is that coin is valued in the $400-800 range. Pretty cool. Obviously the most valuable coin I've found CRH'ing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread