New to CRH, just found these

Gimson

May 23, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! I posted this in "Today's Finds", then found this forum. Whoops! Anyways...

As I said, I'm new to coin roll hunting. I just picked up my third box of pennies from the bank today, and a few coins caught my eye. I don't know if there are possibly errors, damage, or just wishful thinking. Here's what I found.

2xfB7y1.jpg

This one seemed more "indented" than any other penny in the box. You can sort of see on the far edge how it's pretty set in. There also appears to be a bit of a second ridge along the edge. Maybe something like a capped die, but only got stuck for one more strike? I'm not totally sure on this one, it might just be my mind playing tricks on me.

jHc93z8.jpg

Okay, this one you probably can't tell much from the picture. The "defect" is very small and I couldn't get a good picture of it. The '2' on the date seems to be a bit off. The lower-left part of the 2 almost has two layers. I can't tell if it's just a nick in it, or a die error, or something else entirely. These images are likely much larger than they appear in the post, so if you copy the image address and view the full-sized image, you will be able to see it better.

DOwLxMG.jpg

This is probably the most obvious image. The right side of the coin has this round ridge-like structure. From what I've looked up, this looks to me like a minor broadstrike?

I'm probably making a fool of myself here, but I'm curious. Do any of these look like actual errors to anyone, or am I just going crazy? If so, are any particularly interesting?

In any case I'm super excited to be hunting! Thanks ahead of time for any help :)

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one is from a misaligned die. Very minor, no added value. The second one the two took a hit in circulation. The last one that you see is known as a ridge ring. It's caused by a die being used until it's extremely worn. Sorry but no added value in any of these.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice to you is to read as many threads pertaining to error coins as you can find on here. Look at the pics and see what the errors look like. I am no error expert but I can usually tell PMD from an error now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread