OMG! For Real! CRH Grand Slam! Never saw anything like this before!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG is for real, because stuff like this comes only come from the Almighty. He must have known it was my birthday next week, duh. It's been a long, slow, non-productive road the last couple years for me for silver. I've gotten a lot of nice US cent errors, but that's another story.

So I've almost given up looking for halves, or any silver from banks for that matter. Last 7 half boxes produced NOTHING.

Today made up for all of it.

I go to the drive up window to make (another) payment on my credit card. I've been bad. So, the teller at the OTHER bank who has been very gracious getting
boxes of cents for me just happens to state the other day he likes Eisenhower dollars. Oh well. I figured if I could snag a couple Ike's to cash in at his teller window it might be nice, he has really helped me get the cent boxes and all.

So today at the other bank's window I asked if they had any Ike's.

The teller said no, but gave me a sideways look and asked if I was interested in any halves. Halves, methinks? So I asked how many they had, she asked her fellow teller and they said they had $80 worth, and I thought, oh great, I'll be dumping them tomorrow. Wrong.

So I said I'd come around inside and get them, which I did.

Now this bank actually counts the rolled coins that come in, and they said they hadn't counted them. I said I didn't care, I'd take responsibility for the count, (was in a hurry on the way to work). Anyway, they produce 8 rolls of the ugliest wrapped coins I'd ever seen. The teller that started it all opened one up and informed me these were old. Well, that became obvious instantly.

She said an elderly lady had come in the day before and cashed them in. Her husband had died, and she didn't want them anymore. The banker had advised her (they hadn't looked at what was inside yet) to go to a coin dealer but she told them she didn't want to bother doing that.

I opened them up in the parking lot at work, which is where the panic attack started this am. I'm almost done with it now. But now quite. First one roll, then another, and I was careful to preserve the paper (for reasons unknown to me.)

Inside were: 11 - count them --11 1971 clad Kennedys. Then the fun began. The ender on the 2nd roll was a BARBER. Then ANOTHER. Then ANOTHER.

Eight rolls: 11 clad 1971 Kennedys

One complete roll of 1966-1969 40% Kennedys

Two 1964 Kennedys

TWO COMPLETE ROLLS OF FRANKLINS

THREE COMPLETE ROLLS OF WALKERS 1917S through 1945.

and...wait for it.....SEVEN BARBER HALVES, 1894s, 1897, 1902, 1903, 1907d x 2, 1908o with a slight bend to it.

Methinks I shall faint now! Never even had a Barber before now. I carefully rerolled them and am going to leave them together, as is in a plastic bag with a note, so one day, my daughter will not take the blooming things to the bank and deposit them!

That's 129 90% silver halves, 20 40% halves and the 11 clad Kennedys

Attachments

• IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    713.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    720 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    730.6 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ready for this? Went back to the bank today because dung for brains here wasn't really tuned in yesterday. The REST of WHATEVER she had they sent back to be reboxed late yesterday.

There will be some more silver floating out there soon, folks. Be on the lookout for dimes, quarters and wheaties soon.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome score. I'd say you hit it out of the park. It's great to see a tally like yours. It keeps hope alive!!!

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the best scores I have seen on here, amazing!!! Nice find, love the old beat up rolls.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats smokey on the score! You crossed off a lot of my things I would have on my bucket list! One of the best scores I've seen on here!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A huge congratulations!! You'll remember that for years to come.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that was just great reading about it! Congratulations! :notworthy:
It couldn't happen to a better cat, you were due that one! Happy Birthday, too! :cat: :occasion18: :occasion16:
I'm kinda like wow, just oh wow oh wow! Very happy for you! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread