Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
cryptodave said:
Why don't you just tell us whats in the fine print, that way we aren't showing traffic on their site? ;D
Why don't we get all the CRHers together, pick a day and time and all log on together and crash their site. ;D

OP
OP
Silver_Fox

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
cryptodave said:
Or you could just tell me so I can limit my internet usage at work. ;D
OK, here it is from their page for the Morgan.
Morgan Dollar

E-mail this product to a friend

FREE Morgan Silver Dollar

A $50 Value

The American Historic Society is pleased to announce that we are offering to collectors a limited supply of Morgan Silver Dollars for free! Designed by engraver George T. Morgan in 1878, the Morgan Silver Dollar is an exquisitely beautiful coin. It features the likeness of Lady Liberty on the obverse side, with a majestic American Eagle depicted on the reverse.

These .900 Fine Silver Coins Will Never Be Minted Again!

But what's even more special is that the coins being offered here are the last Morgan Silver Dollars ever minted! Each coin is in circulated condition and is minted from 90% silver. Coinage of the silver dollar was suspended after 1904 when the bullion supply became exhausted and were melted down under provisions of the Pittman Act. Coinage of the Morgan design was briefly resumed in 1921; after that, these Morgans were never and will never be minted again! This may be one of your final opportunities to obtain this historic coin. ACT NOW to take advantage of this very special offer!

Additional Morgan Silver Dollars Also Available

For this exquisite coin you pay just $4.95 to cover processing and handling. Your satisfaction is guaranteed. You will have the opportunity to receive additional Morgan silver dollars from earlier years. If you don’t want to receive these coins, you can simply call the toll-free customer service number that will appear on your credit card statement. If you would like to receive future silver dollars, there’s nothing you need to do. One new coin will be sent in about 4-5 weeks. After receiving this coin, if you’d like to keep any future coins you will be billed $49.95 plus $7.99 for processing and handling (plus any applicable state taxes). For your convenience, these charges will be billed to your credit card. The Morgan Silver Dollar is yours to keep FREE whether or not you decide to receive any additional silver dollars. Two coin offers per customer.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that and sent the below message to their customer service:

Interesting, a "free" Morgan dollar (a $50 value????). I noticed that there was no mention of condition, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say the ones you send are VF - XF. Common dates can be purchased from a coin shop for around $15 - $20 each. So first off your "$50 value" is about 3X what it is worth. And that is retail, you probably get them wholesale, so probably purchase them for around $12 each. And it is not really "free", due to the fact you cannot cancel your new consignments until you get the number on your credit card statement, which means you have purchased at least one consignment and now have 2 Morgans for $49.95 plus shipping and handling. A person has two Morgans costing them about twice as much as they could get them from a dealer. So bottom line is you have made over 100% profit on those two coins with very misleading advertising. Gotta admit, you have a heck of a racket going here. Not many companies (reputable anyway) would try to bilk unknowledgeable people this way, but you really take the cake.

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
wayne1956 said:
I saw that and sent the below message to their customer service:

Interesting, a "free" Morgan dollar (a $50 value????). I noticed that there was no mention of condition, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt and say the ones you send are VF - XF. Common dates can be purchased from a coin shop for around $15 - $20 each. So first off your "$50 value" is about 3X what it is worth. And that is retail, you probably get them wholesale, so probably purchase them for around $12 each. And it is not really "free", due to the fact you cannot cancel your new consignments until you get the number on your credit card statement, which means you have purchased at least one consignment and now have 2 Morgans for $49.95 plus shipping and handling. A person has two Morgans costing them about twice as much as they could get them from a dealer. So bottom line is you have made over 100% profit on those two coins with very misleading advertising. Gotta admit, you have a heck of a racket going here. Not many companies (reputable anyway) would try to bilk unknowledgeable people this way, but you really take the cake.

I'm not the one to defend these book club of the month type businesses, but the number will be on your credit card statement after paying the up front $4.95 shipping for the first "free" coin.
Chances are they are only paying $3 for these, plus $.35 for shipping each one, they are making $.60 off each one...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess the one you receive for free will be
in Good Condition Tops & Highly Polished to
look "NICE & SHINY" for those not in the know.
& everthing after will be VG condition & also Polished to a Mirror
effect.

saw a Company do this to Free Buffalos once.

& dateless ones at that.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's almost as good a deal as the free Washington dollars they advertise when you buy them at volume. M ::) nty

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops, looks like I may have jumped the gun a little and overlooked the part that the number would be on the first transaction with the shipping for the "free" coin. It is still extremely misleading to the uninformed person stating a $50 value for the coin they are receiving. They may be putting a value of that on there, but its actual worth is far, far below that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread