1874 Indian Head Penny

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Have had a seriously slow stretch over the last couple of months. Halves have been averaging ~0.3-0.5 silvers per box. In my last $1,500 of nickels I've pulled 1 war nickel and no Buffalo's (but somehow I've found 17 proof nickels?). 2 Rosie's over last 10 1/2 boxes. And it's been a whopping $1,780 worth of cents since my last IHP which seems like a ridiculously long stretch. Well today I managed to pull an 1874 Indian Head out of a roll. This is our oldest coin from a roll and the oldest dated coin we've found besting an 1890 V nickel from a couple of years ago.

Very excited to see the indian head as one of my absolute top line CRH goals is to put together a full roll of circulation found IHP's. 5 down, 45 to go. At this rate I need to search just over 8 million more coins and I'll be there.

Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Perseverance and you'll get there, Twitch. I've found 2 indian head cents in my time searching; 1903 and 1899. We all have our goals, and as long as they aren't ridiculous (yours is well within possible) we can achieve them with the right amount of determination. Sad to see your totals so low, are you on the west coast?

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Perseverance and you'll get there, Twitch. I've found 2 indian head cents in my time searching; 1903 and 1899. We all have our goals, and as long as they aren't ridiculous (yours is well within possible) we can achieve them with the right amount of determination. Sad to see your totals so low, are you on the west coast?

Appreciate it. I'm basically in St Louis. I understand slow times in halves hunting very well (I did find a ~$500-800 half last week so I can't really complain) and dimes are a bit slow as well but not way outside of a normal slow spot. St Louis pennies aren't as productive as the other places I've lived so I'm just getting used to that. but I'm really challenged to explain how nickels are so bad. Normally I find ~0.8 wars & ~0.25 buffalo's per box (not counting a one time 172 buffalo nickel find). To find 1 total out of 15 boxes worth of combined CWR and MWR is brutal. But I did find the '74 Indian and a week or two ago I found a Barber dime while dumping so it's been a weird month or two. Back in March I found 2 solid shotgun rolls of halves in Nevada. No consistency this year but some bright spots.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems the well is drying up everywhere. 4 box skunk for halves here. Seems the finds are getting less and less for everyone. Only thing really keeping me motivated is the NIFC halves. Here's to great finds!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
$500 - $800 half? What the heck was that?

Maine_Jim
Jim - found a nice retained strike through error '76-D half. There's a 'staple' in the back of it with letters and stars stamped into it. Pics are on the thread. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread