Coin Containers... For those of you who dump via coin machine

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys, my current coin containers that I am using to dump half dollars are on their last legs and was wondering how you guys stored your rejects for dumping? I've been using the plastic 240 cup Folgers/Maxwell House coffee containers which nicely fit exactly $500. I was also using plastic shoe/storage containers that I can squeeze in $1,000.

Any suggestions on what might be a convenient and durable replacement? Something that comfortably fits $1000?

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make some bags or use the large plastic cat litter pails.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use those canvas coin bags that I have acquired from banks over time.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 12"x19" canvas bags. I ordered 10 from banksupplies.com a few years ago and they are still going strong. They easily hold $500 in halves with plenty of room. I wouldn't store $1,000 in there though.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for driving around with the bags to dump I fold over the extra bag underneath the coins when I drive so none get spilled when I stop and go.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a metal Godiva chocolate covered pretzel container. It fits exactly one box of pennies. And it also gives me a good reason to finish eating the pretzels quickly!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I also use the Maxwell House coffee container, and do like that it holds $500 exactly, but I use it for searching and to dump halves into bags for dumping. As others have said, get cloth coin bags when you can from banks; just ask at every bank if they have any or ever get any in to save one for you. You can sometimes find them at coin shows for $1 or $2 each. If your counting machine used coinlok bags, ask for one or two, as the hold $1,000 and make great bags for transporting and dumping. The only downside is they're transparent, so all the world sees what you're carrying.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used USPS envelops, those big priority/express fiber/plastic envelops. They hold everything nicely. If one wears out, a trip to the post office solves everything, plus there free.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I use those canvas coin bags that I have acquired from banks over time.

There is/was a post on here several years ago about how to make canvas-type bags from the legs of old denim jeans.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used USPS envelops, those big priority/express fiber/plastic envelops. They hold everything nicely. If one wears out, a trip to the post office solves everything, plus there free.

My luck I'd have the bottom give out and spill my coins all over the bank parking lot, I've never had a canvas bag break on me in 5 years

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the bank bags that zipper closed. Another option are those large snack/pretzel plastic containers that have screw on lids. Don't use something with a small opening as it takes too long to empty out, the coins jam up in the container.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My luck I'd have the bottom give out and spill my coins all over the bank parking lot, I've never had a canvas bag break on me in 5 years

never have one break on me, when i was dumping 500-1000 in dimes a week. The Tyvek Envelopes were tough enough for the job, the only time i replaced them was when I lost them, or was too lazy to go out to the car to pick up the used one...

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used green bags with zippers and nice handles. I paid about $30 each and they will hold whatever you want to put in them. I have about 15 of them. When I was doing up to 100 boxes a week it was the only way to do it. It was a small price to pay. My 1st year I found 960 oz of silver. And that's when silver was $36 a oz. And I have a small fold up cart with a milk crate tied on it. Then I was using the plastic coin bags to dump. With $500 to $1000 in each bag. I would dump up to $15.000 at a time. Now I do a box or two just for fun the dumping sucks . I work hard make mad cash and buy bags of silver.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some of those canvas coin bags that I've acquired from banks over the last few years. I also use an extra tall beer pitcher that holds $500 in halves when filled to about 3/4" from the top.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of good ideas! Canvas bags seem like they would be durable but might be difficult to carry or keep from spilling. I do have a few CoinLok bags around, maybe I can start using those in the interim. I would like to get something with a lid though... I have had coin spillage in the bank parking lot before and it's not fun. Maybe I can track down a few good zippered canvas bags.

I do like the big pretzel container idea too, they might squeeze in $1000. What about reusable canvas grocery bags? Do you think those would be durable enough?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The canvas bags I use are 10 Oz cloth ones with double stitched seams, I wouldn't trust the canvas grocery store bags. I fill my canvas bags half way ($500 in halves) and fold over the other half so that the weight of the coins keeps the bag from sliding and spilling. Also you can get them with a tie if you want to knot the top but I find that more difficult than just folding the bag over.

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
I use ammo cans. Steel construction. The lid seals when closed. Built in collapsible handle. Never have to worry about ripping or wearing out. They're the best small size storage containers ever. I use them both for storage and transporting large quantities of coins.

StevePa

Sep 6, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 di pro sl
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use gallon ziplock bags that last a few weeks before tearing. I have also used coin lock bags that most banks will give out if you ask, they hold 1000$ and never rip but tear up your hands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread