Anyone interested in posting how they mark their dumped coins??

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to see what coins end up where after they have been gone through... Maybe we can figure out a flow of sorts... :) Heres my Mark.. :) 160610-IMG_20160610_194926433.jpg

Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark any coin that has been plated or painted. I find a ton of gold- and silver-plated halves as well as a lot of Obama painted halves, Yankees painted halves, and NASCAR painted halves. I mark all of them.

My mark is:

"Master
Mind"

on the obverse, and:

"Month/Year"

on the reverse.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Typically people don't Mark silver coins which would be the only ones that would really be degraded in value from any kind of cleaning. In the years I've been doing this I've found maybe 4 or 5 Marked silver coins and they were of no other value than melt. A clad half-dollar is pretty indestructible as far as cleaning goes, you can use 0000 steel wool and it will not hurt the coin, I use it even on my coin rings clad and the silver ones and it does no damage to them at all. It depends what kind of Mark is on the coin you could also use nail polish remover and a Q-tip but I find that the steel wool works best for me. Just be sure it is the quadruple zero steel wool. HH, Maverick.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The steel wool approach seems a little harsh for my tastes, but then guess I'll find out for myself the first time I run across a coin that's marked.

...That's a curious thing. Maybe I should take some known face-value-only coins and make marks on them, then see what works best for cleaning. Might be fun! :thumbsup:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The steel wool approach seems a little harsh for my tastes, but then guess I'll find out for myself the first time I run across a coin that's marked.

...That's a curious thing. Maybe I should take some known face-value-only coins and make marks on them, then see what works best for cleaning. Might be fun! :thumbsup:

People hear the word steel wool and automatically think of SOS pads and think the worst because it sounds so harsh. This is what I use for my coins and my coin rings. Here is another little secret, if you clean the windshield of your vehicle with this your windshield wipers will Glide across it and last a whole lot longer, I also apply Rain-X after cleaning with the 0000 steel wool.HH, Maverick.

Attachments

• 20160620_210434.jpg
    20160620_210434.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 111

philinchio

Dec 24, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Detector(s) used
White's CoinMaster Pro
I put a little "XD" mark on the reverse of halves and a little "X" on the reverse of dimes. Only for coins that were previously marked, or are so dirty and damaged that there's no collector value.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never marked coins considering it accomplishes absolutely nothing.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
What really annoys me more than marking them, is those people that put stickers on the coin. They are just annoying and terrible to look at.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Stickers?!?!? Geez, that's about the most lame thing I've heard yet!

I just have an interesting way of resealing my coin rolls - very tight and crisp. Started putting a small mark on the end of each roll, but soon figured I'd know my rolls if I saw them again.

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I came across a few boxes where the coins were intentionally burnt (an X pattern across the reverse). The funny thing is that there was silver in those boxes. It seems like marking them doesn't really do anything. I like to leave them be so if I miss an error coin, the next guy doesn't have to deal with cleaning and devaluing the coin.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Only because TimZim/ Streetwalker/ Someone else hasn't done it yet, I'll throw some gasoline on the fire-

IMG_9846.JPG

:laughing7:

-Omega Out

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marking coins is absurd-much like seeing the same woodchuck when you travel to another state--so STOP DOING IT!!! lame a$$ advertising stickers, krazy glue, GUM, your slurpie you spilled on the coin, scotch tape and --of course---fools who take a drill to coins. as Rodney Dangerfield would say "no respect, I tell you, coins get no respect".

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Ace, as with many of your posts, I have to agree. I am reminded of two old phrases that fit some of the posts on this thread very well.

1. The primary difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

2. A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool talks because he has to say something.

Time for coffee. After I water the lawn.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love how you end your posts----reminds me of Cliff Clavin on "Cheers". time for bed, want to savor Mondays' heat index of 105 :---)
Ace, as with many of your posts, I have to agree. I am reminded of two old phrases that fit some of the posts on this thread very well.

1. The primary difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

2. A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool talks because he has to say something.

Time for coffee. After I water the lawn.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
As it happens, I have to move the sprinkler again. Maybe coffee after. We will see if the wife brings home Dutch Bros.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions