Anyone interested in posting how they mark their dumped coins??

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be interesting to see what coins end up where after they have been gone through... Maybe we can figure out a flow of sorts... :) Heres my Mark.. :) 160610-IMG_20160610_194926433.jpg

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I regularly find halves and other coins with one thing or another put on them by sharpies or similar markers. I find it annoying. A few years ago I ran into a coin counter bag that had over 200 coins marked. Three of these were significant errors. A 1974D Doubled-Die, a Bicentennial Cud ('76D if I remember right), and a major die crack. I find the practice of coin hunters marking coins to be a sign of abject stupidity that cost this coin hunter about $100 in lost revenue in just one bag.

I would continue, but it is time for coffee.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably shouldn't mark the actual coin... Why not just mark the wrapper instead? Marking each individual coin is sort of a waste of time as well imo I can't imagine sitting there are marking 1000+ coins lol

OP
OP
S

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind finding others marks, im sure things get so mixed and matched, I'm doing it just to know when I start getting the same coins back I have already searched... :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mark 50 per $500. One end of a roll. Takes 2 minutes

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never mark a coin.......just the wrapper. There are 2 other CRHers in my area that also mark their wrappers...............

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I regularly find halves and other coins with one thing or another put on them by sharpies or similar markers. I find it annoying. A few years ago I ran into a coin counter bag that had over 200 coins marked. Three of these were significant errors. A 1974D Doubled-Die, a Bicentennial Cud ('76D if I remember right), and a major die crack. I find the practice of coin hunters marking coins to be a sign of abject stupidity that cost this coin hunter about $100 in lost revenue in just one bag.

This. It aggravates me to no end to find marked error coins. Ones I have found marked also include a 1974-D double die, as well as a 1972-D missing the designer's initials, plus countless otherwise nice looking proofs.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Yes, FormerTeller, it is aggravating. One of the nickel varieties I had been looking for was a 1941S Large Mint Mark. The third example I found, and otherwise the best I had seen, was marked with a sharpie "error". This made what was potentially a $50 sale to a mere curiosity. It is not just halves some of these folks are screwing up.

I understand that some folks want to know if someone else has searched this roll or that for silver. What many of these people have never considered is the errors and the varieties (some of these are the offspring of a single die pair, increasing their rarity) that many collectors value more highly than silver bugs value silver. Marking coins so one can see if a roll, box, or bag has been searched for silver will decrease the value of errors and varieties to mere face. All because of selfishness.

Time for coffee. I might even add something this time.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have been thinking of getting into CRHing in my remote, little area, but not exactly sure what all coins to keep an eye out for. Where does a person find a definitive list of coins worth more than face value?

By the way, I'm glad this thread came up - was wondering how to best keep track of things. Thanks for the answers to my not-yet-asked questions! :laughing7:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There is no single definitive list, but a good place to start would be a "cherry picker guide". Whitman put out two volumes. One for Half-cents through nickels, the other for dimes through double-Eagles. There are also many online sources, many of which have been mentioned on treasurenet. A little searching of the Internet should help you find several sources of information on coin varieties and errors that collectors
may value.

That being said, I look for errors, especially doubled-die, repunched mint marks, striking errors, cracked die errors, and a host of other errors that may be of interest to collectors. Many of these errors will beat the price of a common silver coin of the same denomination by several times. Remember also, there is always a market. The offers may not be what you or I would prefer, but a small positive cash flow is better than no cash flow.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never mark coins. It's disrespectful to people looking for non silver coins. There are a lot of errors out there and marking them, which would then require a cleaning, will diminish their value.

I found six Jefferson nickel errors this morning, one probably worth something decent. If it were a half error and marked, that would have ruined a lot of its value.

GALENROG, please rant some more.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the tips everyone!! Had no idea there were that many errors that made it out of the Mint. Sounds like a good hobby to have as the skeeters get really bad outside.

...Isn't there any way to remove marker ink from a coin without losing the coin's value?

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other

I honestly DESPISE this practice... One person in my hunting area puts a piece of scotch tape on their dumped coins.... while annoying to take off the tape, at least it isn't destroying the coins like using markers.

OP
OP
S

silverhound74

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites MX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know it's frowned upon,, I never would of guessed, given that any box I get has 3-5 different marks in it with probably up to a dozen marked coins.. Never would of guessed given how common the practice seems to be around here.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up $100 in halves at a bank in Venice Florida.

I get them to spend them. Every now and then I find something nice.

This batch had a magic marker X or -- on the wrappers. Just common halves in all the rolls.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I mark my coins by taking out everything collectible. That way when I get a box with nothing collectable in it I know I've already been through the coins.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I laugh every time a thread like this comes up about marking coins, to me it doesn't really matter either way, I've never had a problem with just wiping the mark off of the coin with something if it is one that I want to keep. I will say it is completely useless though to Mark the wrappers as when you turn them back in most more than likely they will be sent off by the bank and repackage anyway so you will never see that Marked wrapper again. No matter what in the end there's always going to be somebody out there marking coins so I've learned to just live with it. HH, Maverick.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's what I was wondering - does removing permanent marker somehow damage the coin or its finish?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on what you use to take it off. A cleaned coin can lose quite a bit of value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread