My First Post and First Nickel Box

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect this may turn into a long post, so if you don't feel like going through the whole thing, hello, I'm very excited to have finally joined the forum. I've been doing light Crhing for 18 months or so, and after discovering TreasureNet I was inspired to pick up a metal detector as well.
I pick through any change I come across and search boxes of cents or rolls of other denominations when I have the time, but it's hard for me to do any steady hunting during the school year.
Now that school is out and I have my drivers license I am going to try increasing my volume as much as I can, so I started by dumping all my accumulated rejects at my regional bank and then cruising down the street to the local Wells Fargo. I asked for a box of nickels.

Do you have an account here?
No....do I need one? [emoji51]
Yeah, sorry.
Have a nice day, mam.

From there I went to BB and T, where I had the same experience. At that point I was feeling pretty discouraged and convinced that I probably should open an account, but persistence pays off, and the third time was indeed the charm and after a short conversation with her supervisor the kindly teller at Bank of America was able to accommodate me.

I got that box of nickels home and plowed through it. Some may call it a skunk, and I concede that I was really hoping for a war nickel, buffalo, 2009, or even just something foreign, but I was satisfied because it filled a good number of the pre-1960 holes in my budding circulated collection. Also provided quite a few better examples from more recent years. I got
2x 1939
2x 1940D
1x 1941D
1x 1941S
1x 1946
1x1947
2x 1947S
1x 1949
1x 1952
1x 1952D
5x 1954D
3x 1957
1x 1957D
3x 1959D

1x 1987S

All pretty boring dates, and most are worn enough that I doubt I'll keep them, but the '87 was exciting because it's the first proof coin I've found in the wild. One of the 1957 examples has good luster and full steps that you may or may not be able to see in my terrible photos.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426384.829385.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426413.345621.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426447.697164.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426463.926204.jpg

I also came across two potential minor errors. The first is a small die crack on the obverse of a 1995P that travels from Jeff's nose to the edge of the coin. Reminded me of some examples portewenace or someone posted a couple months ago. The second is the reverse of a different 1995P where most lettering is very faint, particularly in Monticello. The obverse has plenty of nicks, but little wear, which leads me to believe that it was a weak strike, struck through some contaminant, or a lamination error rather than pmd, but I am but a novice so your input is much appreciated. I will try to get better photos in the future.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426879.210349.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426895.111476.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466426939.495544.jpg

Also found this star bill at work the other day and kept it since it's only a dollar. Is it worth any more than a dollar?
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466427102.513974.jpg

If you've made it this far, you deserve a medal, but I have a final query: Is there any particular brand of coin book/folder you recommend for circulation examples?

I promise I will make my future posts much more concise and get better pictures. Thank you all for making Tnet such a valuable resource and I look forward to your input. Happy Hunting!
-Wheat

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hunt! I would suggest having two bank accounts, one at a bank you will get your boxes from and another at a bank where you will return your searched coins to. For nicer examples of what is otherwise a common year (such as the 1957 Jefferson nickel you have pictured, I would recommend just a cardboard Whitman coin holder or one of those cardboard ones from Littleton coin) Persistence does pay off, good luck in future hunts.
Check this link out and do a little shopping around you might be able to find them a little cheaper. https://www.whitman.com/store/Inventory/Detail/Jefferson-Nickel-1-Folder-1938-1961

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put the * note at $2, #75,406 of 640K printed in the 1st batch of 5 for 3.2M. nice crispy salad. I sold a circulated pristine un- certified '57 jeff that was MS67 (absolutely flawless & full luster) for $8.99 2 years back. the rim to nose is showing up on '94, '95 & '96 "P" mints fairly often. I have a '95-P with the crack from rim thru face to the hair bow. P mint errors are likely since their QC Dept appears to be on permanent lunch break.

Last edited:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice post WFC and welcome to the forum. Definitely take note of BuffaloBoy's post. You don't want to tick off your pick up banks by returning your coins to them. Congrats on some nice finds. That second 95P definitely looks like a good example of a greaser/struck through grease. Hoping your next box will net you some War Nickels or Buffs.

Good luck!
TwoYewts

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Still a good box of nicks, when I used to search nickels I would keep all of the 1959 and older ones just because they were old. You'll usually find something out of a nickel or2 so keep looking. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Loved my cousin Vinney, classic movie. HH, Maverick. Didn't quote two yewts for some reason, stupid smart phone...

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! I'm finding about 1 pre-60 per 2 rolls, so you're right about on my average... congrats on the proof... always fun to find those! Persistence pays off with the nickels.. many of us are trying to fill a 38-61 album with CRH finds... I did that first almost 30 years ago... and surprisingly, I am now just 10 coins short.... The War Nickels and Buffalos (to a lesser extent) do show up sooner or later... as do the rare dates... keep plugging away!

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your feedback guys. I will probably grab myself some Whitman folders for all denominations and maybe some sort of clear display flips for my errors and Morgans. And I would never pick up coins from my dump bank, even if it meant going home empty handed. They're very friendly people and since I have an account there I have access to a coin counter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread