Error 1984 Penny ?

jeffrey1215

Jun 20, 2016
Portage county, OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, After I roll hunting, I find this one. it looks interesting The "lib" is smaller than the "ERTY". Any opinion?
IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2787.JPG
I also find another interesting one, Lincoln does not have underlip. I think may be because the coin worn seriously.
IMG_2799.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one is probably caused by a little struck through grease. The second either grease or over polished. Neither worth anything. Keep looking!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I would've thought that first one would be worth more than face value. That's pretty interesting!

I'm just barely getting started in the search for errors as well, but sometimes I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I mean, how is someone to know that an find is more valuable? I can understand the errors that have already been found. I'm talking about errors that might be one-of-a-kind. For example, I just got a few rolls of quarters yesterday. Found one today that I wanna look at more closely, and will once I've done the initial looksee. Fount a 1999 Georgia and, on the reverse, there is what looks to be a deep gouge going from the upper-right tip of the W in Wisdom, to the lower-left tip of the S in Wisdom. Here's the interesting part - it goes UNDER the I! That's telling me it was most likely due to a gouge in the planchet before minting. Is slightly wider than the middle of the I it goes under, with the widest part being where it touches the S. Also, the outer edge of the gouge is straight, while the inner edge is not straight.

I can post it some time, but not until next month. Running a bit low on data allotment right now.

There are other things I'm finding as well - like what appear to be extra bits of metal where there shouldn't be any. These are raised areas on the coins and, if looked at in correct light, can be seen with the naked eye....barely! Have also found tons of coins that appear to have "missing" metal. Often I can link it to damage elsewhere on the coin. However, there are many such instances where a coin has no other signs of damage, and very little if any visible wear. On the "missing metal" coins, I have been tossing them back in the wrappers as there are just so darn many of them! ...Guess I'm gonna have to use a good portion of my allotment posting some of my questions with pics.

OP
OP
J

jeffrey1215

Jun 20, 2016
Portage county, OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first one is probably caused by a little struck through grease. The second either grease or over polished. Neither worth anything. Keep looking!

Thanks, I am still searching error coin. I think this is really enjoyable. I have found few other "error" coins, I mean I don't really know it is an error one or not. But I will keep searching and keep them once I have leisure time at night

OP
OP
J

jeffrey1215

Jun 20, 2016
Portage county, OH
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, I am still searching error coin. I think this is really enjoyable. I have found few other "error" coins, I mean I don't really know it is an error one or not. But I will keep searching and keep them once I have leisure time at night

Well, this is interesting. I just start this hobby last month, actually two times until now. But anyway, good finds. For me, I will keep those error as much as I can, even just a minor error one. I mean they are still more than their face value. I will keep search for those error coin. But I guess I will spend less time on search coins once I start to metal detecting, lol. And good luck on your searching.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would've thought that first one would be worth more than face value. That's pretty interesting!

I'm just barely getting started in the search for errors as well, but sometimes I find myself wondering if it's worth it. I mean, how is someone to know that an find is more valuable? I can understand the errors that have already been found. I'm talking about errors that might be one-of-a-kind. For example, I just got a few rolls of quarters yesterday. Found one today that I wanna look at more closely, and will once I've done the initial looksee. Fount a 1999 Georgia and, on the reverse, there is what looks to be a deep gouge going from the upper-right tip of the W in Wisdom, to the lower-left tip of the S in Wisdom. Here's the interesting part - it goes UNDER the I! That's telling me it was most likely due to a gouge in the planchet before minting. Is slightly wider than the middle of the I it goes under, with the widest part being where it touches the S. Also, the outer edge of the gouge is straight, while the inner edge is not straight.

I can post it some time, but not until next month. Running a bit low on data allotment right now.

There are other things I'm finding as well - like what appear to be extra bits of metal where there shouldn't be any. These are raised areas on the coins and, if looked at in correct light, can be seen with the naked eye....barely! Have also found tons of coins that appear to have "missing" metal. Often I can link it to damage elsewhere on the coin. However, there are many such instances where a coin has no other signs of damage, and very little if any visible wear. On the "missing metal" coins, I have been tossing them back in the wrappers as there are just so darn many of them! ...Guess I'm gonna have to use a good portion of my allotment posting some of my questions with pics.

Just exactly why do you think it would be worth more? Also, the extra metal you're seeing sounds like possible die chips. Please post some photos when you get a chance. I would love to see them and possibly answer your questions. I also suggest to all new collectors to study the minting process. Once you do that you will find it easier to tell the difference between between an error, variety and damage.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Just exactly why do you think it would be worth more?
There used to be a show on TV about people that collect really bizarre things, like mummified cats, dead rats, human skulls, etc. There are also people that collect leaves; some normal, some unusual. Some people collect marbles; for some normal, for others unusual. Etc, etc, etc...

The LIBERTY cent is unusual, right? Or are they more common than I know? Regardless of what exactly caused the difference in lettering, it happened during the minting process. So it seems like this particular coin would be worth more money to the right person.

I've read where some errors are worth lots of money - just as some coins are worth lots of money. If the really valuable ones were so common, they wouldn't be worth a thing. I'm getting into this hobby rather than playing scratch-off lottery tickets. We live far from town and don't go often. So with this, I can get a good amount of coins, then look then over at my leisure. Am I most likely going to be wasting my time if I'm not in it to build a "personal collection"?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, you're not wasting your time. The situation is that some errors are common and some aren't. Grease filled die strikes are common. The only ones with added value to some people are when most of the lettering is missing. Varieties are the same way. Some are common and some aren't. I've been a collector for 17 years. I've only found a few coins I was able to sell for a huge profit. It takes a lot of research to understand what value certain coins have. Personally, if you are wanting to make a huge profit by searching then yes, you're in the wrong hobby. If you want to commit to collecting coins then that's good. Even though I say some coins are common they may still be hard to find in circulation. You would have a better chance of making a little money off finding silver than errors or varieties. Not trying to burst your bubble, but this isn't a hobby to use as a second income. I hope you can learn to enjoy this for what it actually is, a hobby.
HH
Enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions