Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
soak it for 4 minutes in bleach, if it tarnish its real silver..

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not a US mint silver eagle. It was made by somebody else, it probably is 1/10 Oz of silver though. Interesting find!

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
its a 1/10 of an oz .999 silver round, i have some but mine dont have the "copy" stamp.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I just saw the copy stamp. Couldn't zoom in before. I agree with Liu, have it tested to see if it's silver. Is it heavier than a dime? If it is then it might be silver.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Interesting. A dime weighs 2.27 g, a silver dime weighs 2.5 g, and this weighs 3.2 g, which is almost exactly 1/10 of a Troy ounce. I'd say this is a silver round. Nice find!

OP
OP
F

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the one ounce generic .999 replicas of an ASE will have the word copy stamped on it, or at least some do.

Here is a summary of the Hobby Protection Act and why rounds like this should have the word copy on them.
The Hobby Protection Act, passed by Congress in 1973, covers imitation political items (e.g., buttons, posters, stickers, etc.), as well as imitation numismatic items (e.g., various coins, tokens, paper money, commemorative medals) that are required to be marked with certain identifying information in an effort to flag them as imitations. The FTC’s Rule establishes the size of the required disclosures, their location, and the manner in which items may be marked.

Here is a one ounce round I have that was produced by the Highland Mint. It has the word copy in the shield.

It has the word copy in a different location than the 1/10 but that is most likely a choice made by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are correct FT that it is real, the weight is right, it's non magnetic My suspicion as to is validity is just a gut feeling. It just doesnt feel right. It would help if I could find this particular coin with the word copy in the same location on the net but all I've been able to find so far is the HM 1/10 ounce with the word copy in the same location as the one ounce round.

I have a bicentennial half I swore was silver when I seen the edge, got excited when I saw it was bicentennial because I dont have one, yet it didnt feel "right" to me in my fingers. Not having a mint mark and underweight on the half sealed the deal.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FF, i wouldnt worry about not finding one exactly like the ones you have on the net. 1/10 oz rounds are not that popular among silver stackers, because of the high premiums they come with. the chance of your round being a fake/counterfeit, is as great as finding life on Mars.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are several private mints that have produced 1/10 ounce rounds of this design. I started seeing them shortly after the US Mint began producing ASEs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread