First error half after over 100,000 coins! Plus mega herd of 05' BU bison.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After well over 100,000 coins (closer to 200,000) I finally got my hands on a 72 D no mint mark. I have saved many that were ever so faint to check out later but this is the first one I have no doubt about. I also happened across 10 rolls of BU 05' nickel rolls. They appear to be unopened... I am very tempted to open at least a few in search of the elusive speared bison. What would you do? Buffalo Boy?

I can't remember how to post pics :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have no opinion regarding your nicks, but I do have a question regarding your half.

Since you claim the half has no mint mark, what are the characteristics of the coin that set it apart from a 1972 half minted in Philadelphia?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering that as well. If the D is faint then it's just struck through grease. Unless...... this is a joke!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking he means the 72d no fg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Yes, that does make more sense, but I wanted the OP to figure this out on his own. At least, I certainly hope he understands that Kennedy halves minted in Philadelphia bore no mint mark until 1980.

By asking the question posed in my previous post, I also was hoping to provoke a little study of errors, varieties, and the minting process itself.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
72 D no FG initials. It should be a relatively easy error to find and not worth much from what I understand but it was cool to me. Now how about these bison? Should we see if we've got some speared?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Thank you, Tommy. It is refreshing to find people who admit from time to time what is now normal for me. That is saying or writing something completely different from what is wanted. I've done that daily since a stroke a few years ago.

Back to your half. There were several die pairs without the designer initials, thus making this error relatively common. Still worth a bit more than face value. How much more? I have never sold one individually, so I can not really say. There are several sources available online, including eBay. Checking there for completed auctions should give you an idea as to value.

When you get around to the nicks, please remember there are several types of errors that crop every year. Die cracks, both major and minor. Misaligned dies, although these days those are mostly very minor. Cuds, also major and minor. Strike doubling, also known as machine doubling. There are several other errors that are generic to most years, but this list covers most and, depending on severity on the individual coin, there may or may not be added value.

Finally, if your nicks are 2005P Bison, you should look carefully for doubling. Particularly in the motto, last half of LIBERTY, mint mark, and date.

Time for coffee.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Tommy, I actually believe your 1972-D no "FG" half dollar could be worth a decent amount. The problem is there were many weakly struck coins, as you mentioned, so finding a true no "FG" would actually be significant.

If you believe what you have is authentic I would suggest submitting it for certification through PCGS or NGC. Having their stamp of approval will be the difference between a $5 coin and a $200+ coin.

As galenrog suggested, you can utilize eBay as a source of value but make sure to only consider the certified specimens. Uncertified error specimens always leave doubt in a buyer's mind and will never sell for as much as a certified specimen.

The 1982-P no "FG" on the other hand is a variety that is easily confused with the 1972-D no "FG" and has many more examples making them far less valuable, even certified. I have found 3 or 4 of those in my time hunting and several weak 1972-D no "FG" but none that I would consider true enough to submit for certification. Good luck and how about those pics?

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's worth sending off. Without pics we don't really know the grade. Only high grade would make it worthwhile. Also the missing initials aren't from a weak strike. Its from either grease filled die or over a braided die.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
The missing initials wouldn't be from a weak strike, but partial initials might be. Wouldn't the missing initials be due to an overpolished die?

If it is more heavily circulated I agree it probably isn't worth sending as they likely wouldn't be able to differentiate between wear or a true error.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_72d.jpg IMG_72dmag.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather blurry, but it appears there are raised areas. Understand, there can be absolutely no trace of the initials.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was highly insulted recently. Sold some halves, 90% walkers and Franklins. Didn't do too well on them. Dealer remarked they were too modern to command any kind of premium. Your thoughts? If the dealer is correct, then why am I looking for 2015-P Jefferson strike through nickels and 1998 wide am Lincolns? Maybe the dealer just wants clients who buy $20 double eagle gold pieces only. Lotsa luck.

I ordered another box of halves, I'm already convinced it will be a skunk. No luck with boxes of halves. Ever. Just CW Rolls. Been a bad day.

And BTW NO WAY IN HADES the Treasury Dept. or IRS will call you and threaten to come get you if you don't go right out and buy a zillion dollars worth of Apple I tunes cards and call them right back with the serial numbers for payment on your taxes! Don't fall prey to that scam. I know someone you did. And don't get me started with lying buyers off Ebay. Rant over. For now.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does any of that rant have to do with this topic?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread