Baltimore Coin show

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Went yesterday it was alright. Didnt see any great deals or anything. Looked a little bit for a Walker with the mint mark on the Obverse. I saw a few but they were in really bad shape. I got a 57 proof set for $20 which is about the going price. None of the heads are frosted. I think I may have seen some nickle proofs in the past and did not keep them. Also, bought a box of the Intercept Shield containers to put some of my best coins, $10. Holds 10 certified coins. The best part was I met Brooks Robinson. I got an autograph for me and my daughter. He signed a nice picture, of him that said the coin show on it. It was FREE, also, got my picture taken with him,and can download it free. Worse part, $17 to park at the inner harbor. One time Id like to go to a show when I have all day and a couple thousand to spend. For some one who knows what they are doing (not me), there maybe some good deals.

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
...and who is Brooks Robinson?

He was a baseball player. I think he played third base for the Orioles. I remember hearing his nickname when I was a kid, and I thought it was funny.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Damn...Brooks Robinson was one of the all-time greats! Not as household a name as the Babe, or Joltin' Joe, but is a true legend in the world of Major League Baseball.

No I am not a fan of the Orioles, or really so much of sports, but figured I would throw in some info there.
;D

And CONGRATS on meeting a legendary figure like Mr. Robinson....
:)

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Now that's a third baseman! Unless it's the deadball era, I'm not interested. ;D To be perfectly frank, I only like baseball if the gloves are tiny, home runs are rare, hookslides are ubiquitous, collars are upturned, uniforms are baggy, spitballs are legal, and a bunt will win the game.

And no relief pitchers! When was the last time someone pitched all three games of a tripleheader?

...but yes, I'll admit that Brooks Robinson, despite his toilet-bowl sized glove, was a fantastic player.

To put this thread back on topic a little more...I've been going to a lot of coin shows lately, and imho...they're not worth the gas. I've been to a few killer shows in my life, but as of late, everything is WAY overpriced. No deals. Too much slabbed garbage and cupro-nickel for my taste.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 192

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been to one but have kinda wanted to go check it out just to see what it is all about. Just the variety of coins would be awesome to see.

FB - I can see the over pricing you mentioned taking place at these shows.

I made some very nice deals, believe or not, at a flea market. I have just started buying some coins and I wanted to get more half dollars. Other than the Walkers and Franklin's I have found the only really old halves I have is a Seated Liberty I bought a while back and the one Barber I found in a box not long ago. At this flea market there is an elderly gentleman...64 yrs old...who was a CRH'er when he was 15. He dad drove a bus and he would go through the change box after his dad's shift pulling different coins out. He also mentioned he would CRH the large dollars and pulled many, many Morgans. It was fun listening to this old guy.

Anyway, I bought three Barbers halves from him this past weekend. One was a 1915 for $8 or $12....one of the three was a little more than the other two so maybe it was the 1915. When I got home and checked the Redbook I was shocked to see the low mintage on this 1915....only 138,000. No expert here but I would say it is G-4 condition...no better. But for the price.....I thought that was a great deal. The Redbook lists it at $85 in that condition. I also hear the Redbook is a little over priced too but I don't know. I am still learning this coin business. I bought 4 Morgan dollars (two AU), 3 Barber halves and 10 Indian Head cents for $100. I thought that was pretty good. He also has a roll of BU Wheat's that he bought as a kid while CRH'ing that he wants $8 for it. I haven't looked that up to see what it is worth yet, but I will probably buy it if it is even close to that. Since he was CRH'er so long ago, he probably got all of his coins at face.

I have rambled enough but I will finish with this....this guy said he is trying to sell his collection because if something would happen to him, his wife and kids are not interested in coins in the least. He thinks his wife would just cash them in at the bank. I will visit him a few more times soon.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice dealings there LJ.

Flea markets and garage sales, if they have any, will generally get you better coin deals than coin shows. IMHO

ShinyDi

Jul 1, 2007
I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I'm wading in here uninvited but I wanted to share my opinion. I've never been to the Baltimore show but I've been to several over the years. As for the price variance between a show vs flea market I think it all depends on what you want and why you collect. Keep in mind you get what you pay for ~ in my experience the sellers at flea markets and/or garage sales are not members of ANA and sell with a 'I don't really know anything about coins, I'm just trying to raise some money' type excuse for selling fake coins or mismarked grades. Every flea market I've ever been to had coins priced double red book .. the only good buys were counterfeits ~ of course, they don't admit to them being counterfeit (and we go back to the 'I don't know excuse'). At coin shows the dealers are members of the ANA and the local chapter of the coin club so they are accountable for what they sell and sharing numismatic information. I still hunt for good buys at flea markets but I trust what I buy at shows.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread