Fun dime box

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a dime box last night and was really surprised at the score.

11 silver dimes!!!! 9 were Canadian :laughing7:

The Rosie's were '60d and a 64d

The Canadian were '66, '65x4, '63, '58, '57, and a pretty slick 1918 georgivs v

My best box of dimes ever, and picking another up on Tuesday at the same branch hoping there is more where this came from!

To start the week I scored a cwr with 19 40%ers. Dime pics below. The roll of dimes pictured had 3 silvers in it (2 Canadian).

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box. Are you in a state that boarders Canada by chance. I am and I see a lot of Canadian coins but not a lot of silver. Guessing someone dumped some old Canadian coins they had laying around. I would try a box or two of nickels to, maybe quarters, you never know.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box. Are you in a state that boarders Canada by chance. I am and I see a lot of Canadian coins but not a lot of silver. Guessing someone dumped some old Canadian coins they had laying around. I would try a box or two of nickels to, maybe quarters, you never know.

Thanks barneyb! Yeah I'm in Washington so very close. There were another 4 Canadian dimes in the box but those were modern dimes.

I average about one or two Canadians per box and find a handful silvers per year. Over the years of boxes, coin star rejects, coin machine magnet finds and cwr.. I've got easily over $100 worth of mixed denominations.

Here's a question I've been meaning to ask. Any banks exchange Canadian currency?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box!! I don't know what banks exchange currency in your neck of the woods but you could always try a Craigslist ad or ask around. You'll probably have to pay a fee too if you went through a bank

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you ask that about the banks. I was talking to a teller in Chase Bank last week. He said they will exchange $10 in Canadian coin for $10 US once a day. I just picked up $76 in Canadian coins for $55 off Craig's list. I figured I'd search them for anything good then dump them at Chase. Would make like $20 even if I didn't find anything. Not sure about any other banks doing $1 for $1. I'll post something after I try it to see what happens. I'm in NY so we are worlds apart, don't know what banks are out there.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny you ask that about the banks. I was talking to a teller in Chase Bank last week. He said they will exchange $10 in Canadian coin for $10 US once a day. I just picked up $76 in Canadian coins for $55 off Craig's list. I figured I'd search them for anything good then dump them at Chase. Would make like $20 even if I didn't find anything. Not sure about any other banks doing $1 for $1. I'll post something after I try it to see what happens. I'm in NY so we are worlds apart, don't know what banks are out there.

Yes, please let us know how it works out! I have chase out here and I'll check on their policy in my neck of the woods.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one Chase bank took $10 in wrapped quarters. She wasn't going to because I didn't have an account there. So I tried at another one and she wouldn't do it because I didn't have an account. I have one more I'm going to try at to see if they will. I might have to open an account just to get rid of all the Canadian coins I have. I did find out that there is a guy that comes to my normal bank and buys all the Canadian coins so maybe they'll take then for face value to sell to the other guy.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting box there! I thought I had a silver 1968 canadian dime the other day. I did the magnet test on it and it stuck right to it...oh well. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one Chase bank took $10 in wrapped quarters. She wasn't going to because I didn't have an account there. So I tried at another one and she wouldn't do it because I didn't have an account. I have one more I'm going to try at to see if they will. I might have to open an account just to get rid of all the Canadian coins I have. I did find out that there is a guy that comes to my normal bank and buys all the Canadian coins so maybe they'll take then for face value to sell to the other guy.

Sounds like the same out here with Chase banks, need an account and for coin only $10 per day.

Quick update - I picked up another box of dimes at that same branch - 2 more Canadian silver dimes and 3 Rosies:occasion14:

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like the same out here with Chase banks, need an account and for coin only $10 per day.

Quick update - I picked up another box of dimes at that same branch - 2 more Canadian silver dimes and 3 Rosies:occasion14:

Awesome! Looks like you might want to grab another box from there!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread