My First Rotated Die CRH find

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up my 9th and 10th Nickel boxes of the year (don't do volume as most of the veteran CRHs on here, just enough to keep me busy) prior to the holiday weekend. Figured I would work on them the day after since I took the 5th off work. Completed box number 9 and it did not disappoint. Found 2 War Nickels, a couple of die cracks and to my surprise my very first rotated die error...a 2001 P see pics below:

Obverse
obverse.jpg

Reverse
reverse.jpg

Hoping box number 10 has some surprises as well.

Happy Hunting and good luck to all.
-TwoYewts

Upvote 0

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I've only recently started looking for rotated die errors... so far only one decent one in around 10,000 nickels - a '72-D with about 15 degrees of rotation.

Attachments

• 72Drot.jpg
    72Drot.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 109

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is great that your coin didn't get chewed up by a roll sealer! Sucks to keep finding all those circular scratches and gouges everywhere.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caution---weigh it to eliminate the chance it is a "trick" sandwich coin. under 5 grams---BEWARE!! common with metal class students who make double head coins. I have found a few halves with phony die rotation- the seam is visible at 25X mag. if it's real---OH YEAH!!!!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
With that much rotation my first thought was also a "trick" coin. Don't need to weigh it though. If it's fake, it'll sound like plastic instead of metal when it hits a hard surface. If it's real, then it's a great find!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't looked for these. Went through $40 in nickels today and got 1 silver and 1 2015-P struck through. That makes 6 of those.

OP
OP
TwoYewts

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find jcole. Yeah I was shocked when I saw it going through the roll. Thought it was trick also but did not see any seems under magnification and just took it out of its flip to weigh it and it weighs exactly 5 grams

20160707_224715.jpg

Thanks for the likes gang!
-TwoYewts

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find jcole. Yeah I was shocked when I saw it going through the roll. Thought it was trick also but did not see any seems under magnification and just took it out of its flip to weigh it and it weighs exactly 5 grams

View attachment 1334151

Thanks for the likes gang!
-TwoYewts

Awesome... I'm always weighing my coins. A roll of nickels typically weighs 199 grams, so 5.0 is right on!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and verification! These are my favorite posts. I mean, I like mass amounts of silver too...but finds like these are few and far between. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread