$10 Star Bill- Save or Spend?

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leaning toward spending this thing for face value, but I thought I ought to get a second opinion. There were 640,000 in the JF run for 2009, but the bill isn't in such hot shape.....thoughts?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1468103147.586276.jpg

Upvote 0

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally save them but it is just a personal choice. Not valuable except for face right now.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend their will be more i have a few in mint shape and some in worse i spend but it is yours you may with as you wish , and yes sweet find , also how did find the run numbers for the series ?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spend their will be more i have a few in mint shape and some in worse i spend but it is yours you may with as you wish , and yes sweet find , also how did find the run numbers for the series ?

I use mycurrencycollection.com

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Something I was thinking about BESIDES CRH'g, was while at the same time that I pickup my dime boxes, to also ask for 2,3,4 straps($100 ea) of single dollar bills. Might be fun to try and find STAR notes, and check into their production notes. Just a thought.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally save all star notes I find, I scrutinize every bill I come across for stars, errors or radar/repeaters.

Picasimus

Apr 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Total noob question, what makes this a STAR note?

OP
OP
W

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'll save it.....but consider it part of the emergency under-mattress stash. To answer your question Picasimus, we call this a star note because the last character of its serial number, typically a letter, has been replaced with a small green star (or asterisk if you prefer). This indicates that this bill was printed as part of a production run to replace bills that quality control has found to be defective in some way. Since no two bills can share a serial number, they use the star on the replacement. Google can tell you more, but that's the gist of it.

And like kingskid1611, I use mycurrencycollection.com to find out more information about the star notes.

I agree with DozerD, searching notes could be pretty fun....maybe I'll give it a go next time there are no halves to be had.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 2009 star note the other day but it was part of a run of 1.9 million so I am going to spend it. I would keep it only if it were in great shape. Otherwise that $10 could make you more money in the long run through investing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread