kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all. I've got a number of 2015 quarters that I pulled. Don't know if it means anything, but just did a search and found that the two coins were minted/released back to back. The two I'm referring to are the Kisatchie/Louisiana and the Blue Ridge Parkway/North Carolina quarters. On both of these quarters, I have seen border lettering on the reverse that was not well-defined, and in many cases was just outright blurry. However, due to the shiny nature of the coins combined with the very small lettering, I'm having trouble trying to get decent photos to post.

I didn't notice this until I got a new (better) magnifying glass. Then, out of the last 20 rolls from the box, I pulled 6 Kisatchie's and 12 BRP's, each with less-than-perfect(!!) lettering. Not all of these minted quarters had this problem - about 1/2 of the BRP's, but I don't know how many of the Kisatchie's. All of the coins in question were minted in Denver. None of the Philly coins had this problem - they had PERFECT lettering!! Was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this same thing?

Was able to get some shots of a couple of the BRP coins that show up pretty well. The dates on all of the coins seem unaffected, but the rest of the border lettering seems to be susceptible - mostly in the state name and in E PLURIBUS UNUM. I notice ZERO damage to any of the coins but one, and it is very minor.

Sat Jul 23 01-36-03.jpg

Sat Jul 23 01-37-21.jpg

Sat Jul 23 01-37-55.jpg

At first I thought it might have been from a die that was used starting with Kisatchie and then being used on the BRP's, but then it hit me that the states and parks would be different. :tongue3: So maybe Denver was training in a new die maker?

Gonna be checking this out when I get to that new bag of quarters to see if I find this on other quarters, or only on these two. Would like to hear any thoughts on this.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grease filled die. Nothing to do with the making of the die.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Why so many for those 2 issues and none for any of the others?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of times it's die deterioration. The dies were used a little too long causing smearing of the legends. I throw all of them back.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also there are several known errors. The Louisiana error has reverse die cuds, The Cumberland gap has a cud at the top of the hat. The Saratoga has a die cud where the finger meets the sword.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also there are several known errors. The Louisiana error has reverse die cuds, The Cumberland gap has a cud at the top of the hat. The Saratoga has a die cud where the finger meets the sword.

Those aren't cuds, they're chips. Cuds are breaks on the rim.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread