THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I stopped at a local bank(they only have five branches in the whole state) because they have a coin machine. If you're a member, there is no charge so I opened an account. While opening the account, I discussed the coin situation with the nice lady and she stayed of customers bring in coin, it goes in the machine.

I have a couple thoughts now. One the coins the bank has for trade/sale are always from the reserve since they don't take loose change or rolled change. Two, this bank is going to be my dumping ground due to no questions asked and all change has to be dumped into the machine. Cha-Ching, right? It gets better!

So the lady mentioned seeing a few half dollars on the vault and I simply ask if there are two's also as I hunt two dollar bills. She went to check and told me this: we have $1200 in two dollar bills and $1420 in half dollars. She can see how excited I am, but I assure you I'm happy as a fat kid with cake. Wait, this gets better, even more!

So at home my wife and kids are helping open rolls and the first few are skunks. What I noticed though is there are absolutely no NFIC's as the oldest coin in the rolls is a 2001D. So we continue in and I'm going to just get to the point. Here's what we find, 5-90%, 38-40%, one copper token from the Statue of Liberty, one half dollar from Panamal, one 2009 Proof with minor bag marks and it's the first proof I've ever seen. It's like looking in the mirror. Towards the end, we found two NFIC's dated 2003 so these coins have been in this vault for about 13 years waiting to be picked.

Last bit of info. On the 5 90%'ers, there was a 52D and 53D franklin halves and he others were 64's. The only coin in the 40%'ers I did not find was the 70. So our album finally got full yesterday except for that 70 bee even found the 87D. Very big score in my eyes!

Good luck treasure hunters.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I seriously doubt they were in the vault for 13 years though.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't doubt they were in the vault that long. Little banks in Texas, especially in small towns, have taken in coins from all sources and they sit there because nobody asks for them. Other than you CRH guys, who gives halves or $2 bills for change? back when I was a kid, 4 bits bought you 4 or more gallons of gas(12.9 a gallon) And CRH'ers are few and far between in places like Sabinal and Crystal City.

Last edited:
OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention these were fed rolls. Two boxes were still sealed shut and the other rolls were in an open box but still shut.

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask them if you can buy the bags from the machine

Genius. Thank you. I did stop at one of the other branches today and cash in my halves. I asked the teller to if she would sell me customer wrapped rolls and I'll deposit in the machine. She says she'll call me weekly so we will see how that goes.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't doubt they were in the vault that long. Little banks in Texas, especially in small towns, have taken in coins from all sources and they sit there because nobody asks for them. Other than you CRH guys, who gives halves or $2 bills for change? back when I was a kid, 4 bits bought you 4 or more gallons of gas(12.9 a gallon) And CRH'ers are few and far between in places like Sabinal and Crystal City.

Same here where I live in terms of coins being in vaults for long periods of time... though really only one of the small local banks where I live seems to like new customers...

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask them if you can buy the bags from the machine

I stopped by this morning to dump off some dingy pres dollars. I asked he bank manager and tellers if I could buy those bags of customer coins that went through the machine as you suggested. They discussed for about five minutes and came out and told me "we've never had that request. We are willing to do this and watch what kind of additional wear and tear of any it causes our machine. "

I just want to say thanks. I'll be hunting this weekend and am even thinking about opening a deposit account with another branch to dump their bags if additional wear and tear becomes a problem. I am literally the only client they sell bags to. This will be amazing. I got two bags of quarters today.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may get VERY LUCKY :--) wish I could buy bags--only got a nic bag once--it had some clad Q, D & pennies so I made a buck or two, plus the nic keepers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread