Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
familiar with the '64 "black beauty", is this an annealing error or just PMD IMG_3488.JPG IMG_3489.JPG , the '05 Bison has a new die crack-note the rim thru "I" to tail raised line IMG_3490.JPG the super '45-S IMG_3491.JPG IMG_3492.JPG the '85-P MAD IMG_3493.JPG IMG_3494.JPG the suweeeet '63 IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3496.JPG the '83-P rim CUD at RUST IMG_3497.JPG IMG_3498.JPG '78-S Proof IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3500.JPG a '20 & '35 Buff IMG_3501.JPG and a :dontknow::dontknow:PMD or how did this happen, note the sawtooth patterns at the rim, unknown if this is a vise, pliers or any other patterned tool or a strange anomaly when coin was minted. all opinions sought for this puppy IMG_3502.JPG IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3504.JPG IMG_3505.JPG IMG_3506.JPG IMG_3507.JPG IMG_3508.JPG IMG_3509.JPG will show it to my LCS today, I have "still, no f*#^!<} eye deer" how this was done. that's a deer who got blinded by your lights, you hit him, cut off his buck parts on the windshield, and now he is lyin', (much like hillary), dead in the road. :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Upvote 0

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds PEA, really odd crimp looking damage on that 71'. I would think that its PMD; but, how it was done is a mystery...my best guess is some sort of crimp type tool. Wish I could be more specific.

As for the black 84' I would think its PMD. How do the edges look, are they also dark gray? I'm thinking its PMD because for an annealed error, I would think the dark gray is uniform across the coin and that one looks like it has some light gray peeking through here and there. Also, any slight nicks/gouges on the coin where you can see if the dark gray runs through the coin? I believe annealed coins are dark gray throughout the coin.

Thanks for posting up the pics!
-TwoYewts

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The '84 looks to me like it went through a fire, and some other material fused itself to the nickel - probably synthetic?

The lower-obverse edge damage looks (to me) like it was put in a vise, and someone used a pocket knife (makes me shudder to think that!!) and hammer to whack the blade into the coin. Very horribly done! The upper-obverse damage looks like the person was trying to use a round shank to make a scalloped edge. That looks like probably their first idea. I DO hope they finally gave up on their project and didn't subject other coins to that sort of abuse. Poor things - there oughtta be a law! :laughing9:

The rest = :thumbsup:

That was quite a box! I was so bored with my box that I'm not even getting ore nickels - but then after seeing this, maybe I shouldn't be so hasty. ...But sticking with cents for now - LOTS to learn just there!

Awesome score! :notworthy:

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a 36 buff you've got there, not a 35. I can't see the cud on the 83, but I'm digging that 45S and the 78 proof. Nice finds!

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
correct on th '36---old eyes and dyslexic fingers. the rim of the blackie is same color, the cud is hard to see but it starts at "R", wish I had saved the pile of black '64's I was finding a few years back---had no eye deer they were errors :-(.threw back the 2 ND Buffs---they were roached. thanks all for the opinions :---))
That's a 36 buff you've got there, not a 35. I can't see the cud on the 83, but I'm digging that 45S and the 78 proof. Nice finds!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if that's a cud or an effect of a misaligned die.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at 20X there is a clear lump at RUST, the photo is not as definitive as seeing the coin in 3 dimensions.showed it to my LCS today and he agrees on CUD. Colonial Stamp & Coin in Kingston, NY, 25 years experience, not sure on the '84-P, but he likes the Bison crack at the tail and, like all who have seen the '45-S--he agrees on AU58 to MS61
I'm not sure if that's a cud or an effect of a misaligned die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions