THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trading in my circulated two dollar bills once done searching. The teller states she has $49.50 in halves brought in from the McDonald's across the road. She tells me that an older guy only pays in halves and McDonald's brings hem in once they have a few rolls. My mind is racing thinking about the keywords "older guy".

I take them and place in my truck. Now time to go dump some coin. I got to my other bank and am just finished dumping coins and cashing out when enters a older guy. Hers that key word grouping again. He's carrying a wooden whiskey box with rolls change. The change is rolled in those older wrappers with scribbling on them like he was tallying the numbers over a period of time. This bank only takes coins in and dumps into the machine so I offer to buy them.

This dude is about 85 and he's wearing green shorts, a green shirt and dark green suspenders. If I ever profiles for old coin, this was my guy. I bought the $129 worth of coin and again placed them in truck until this afternoon.

I got home and searched there rolls to reveal skunks. I did get about $1.50 in copper pennies but that was it other than a Kuwait coin in the nickels.

Don't judge a book by its cover. I re-learnt that today. However I'd do it all over again.

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the old timers are the collector/CRHers and are doing what we are. They've been around the block & seen the highs & lows of the silver market. I think a lot of times it's the spouse that finally cashes in the good stuff when the guys croak (since they often outlive their husbands). You are right tho - can never judge the coin rolls by the roller. That's why we always BUY THEM ALL. Worse case: another dump. Just time & a little gas lost. Best case: solid silver sweetness!

WheatFromChaff

Jun 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, whenever I conjure up an image of a silver hunter in my head, it's an older man. Grew up when there was no such thing as clad, has lots of time on his hands because he's retired, wants to make some investments for the kids and or grandkids......it all just fits the bill. It's a stereotype, yes, but it seems logical to me anyways. Maybe it's just because other teenagers look at me like I've got three heads and call me an "old man" when I tell them I enjoy picking through coins and swinging a metal detector....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread