Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opened the heavy roll 1st--at 226.7 grams--Mr. Franklin. then each box had 1 light roll at 224.6-- so expecting a foreign crap---not, spot the usual die rotation of a tampered coin. drop them on floor & they come apart. love getting these--better than a 40%'er. box 3 gets hit tonight, hey ya' never know :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow: IMG_3529.JPG IMG_3530.JPG IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3533.JPG IMG_3536.JPG IMG_3534.JPG IMG_3535.JPG now at 3 magic trick coins in 2 weeks:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright: a few more & I might need to go to a meeting:laughing7::laughing7:

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
On a confidence rating ( 1 the lowest, 10 highest), how confident weight wise is the silver in the roll vs a skunk roll? Can it be determined that close without ever opening the roll? I wouldn't want to bet anything on this method. Just being skeptical I guess.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as stated many times in the past, weighing is NOT a substitute for searching. I never edge check for silver, but examine each coin both sides for ANYTHING that will make it more than face value. the 10.3 gram magic coins would be rejected by a coin counter, but I caught them before they got that far. the 226.7 roll with no doubt had silver---was it 1 90%, a foreign or a few 40%--the weight told me get ready to get happy. my preference, my opinion--I weigh them, it's what I do --just like a free range chicken riding the rails---it's what they do :---)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a cool 'trick' coin. Sure is baffling who would go to all that trouble - and why?

...Maybe cause the coins cost little, so if they can sell it for $5, they make money on their labor? MUST be it! :dontknow: Seems someone with those skills could find better employment.

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as stated many times in the past, weighing is NOT a substitute for searching. I never edge check for silver, but examine each coin both sides for ANYTHING that will make it more than face value. the 10.3 gram magic coins would be rejected by a coin counter, but I caught them before they got that far. the 226.7 roll with no doubt had silver---was it 1 90%, a foreign or a few 40%--the weight told me get ready to get happy. my preference, my opinion--I weigh them, it's what I do --just like a free range chicken riding the rails---it's what they do :---)

What kind of scale do you use? I have a postal scale I used long ago for eBay in my storage packed up. Not sure if I should dig it out or just buy another cheap one. I did have a digital pocket scale too and found it Kat week but something happened to the displayed while being stored. It was brand new but I stored it for almost three years. Makes me think my better scale may be damaged as well.

Btw, I live there idea of getting ready to smoke based one weight. I check every coin as well. My wife found two 87's last week. One D and one P mint in great shape. The only coin we have NEVER found is that dang ole 70. But I have a jump on some halves next week and maybe it'll be time for that to be found.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Brock, I recently bought a set of different scales. One is for us, but also for really, anything over 55 lbs. The best one I found was made by Eat Smart. The next was a digital postal scale, good for up to 55 lbs. Next is a small pocket scale (digital) for less than $10 (and is awesome!), and lastly is a small scale accurate to 2 decimal points. It's so sensitive that you have to use the cover, as even your breath changes the readings. We have an old spring-type postal scale but it's just not very accurate.

Normally I'm not much of a digital-age fan, but it sure is nice being able to get such extremely tight and accurate measurements. ...Not sure when I'll get out prospecting and need that ultra-sensitive one, but actually sorta glad we have it now. Thought the wife would be upset at me getting (4) scales! She liked it also.

By far, the one I use most is the pocket scale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8LWIW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool 'trick' coin. Sure is baffling who would go to all that trouble - and why?

...Maybe cause the coins cost little, so if they can sell it for $5, they make money on their labor? MUST be it! :dontknow: Seems someone with those skills could find better employment.

Some may be "practice" coins and some are trick coins.....This is the same idea used to make some rare(fakes) coins out of two. The bad is? Some of these guys that do this to make rare dates are really good!! I'm not digging it out right now, but I have one of the rarest Carson City Dimes, next time I get that stuff out I'll post a pic... The bad is? It's fake. The back is from a cheaper carson city, and the front is from a seated dime with the date. Combined made a really rare coin... I took it to dealers that couldn't tell me the difference and thought it was the real deal. Even under a magnifying glass, it looks good! Someone had some skills!! The only proof and I how I know for a fact it is fake is under High magnification(micro scope) I can find the seem in a couple of spots. AND I had to count the ridges on the outside!! lol The number was wrong for that year of a CC or something, I don't remember details about it anymore, something about the number of ridges made it wrong too. :laughing7: If real it would have worth something like 4 grand if I remember right....So it was worth the effort to someone! Even if they sold it to a dealer for a grand..I like to show it! To show how well some of these fakes are made and the skill that it took! Also to show what to watch out for....

Sorry, I kind of went my own way!!! Great finds!! I like finding odd ball stuff!Cool to see some of you guys are still finding silver!!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Would like to see that, for sure! ...But probably better make it a new thread - have already sort of hijacked PEA's thread here. :laughing7:

Sorry 'bout that PEA! :occasion14:

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all comments welcome. I use a 1000 gram digital from Ebay for $10. if you dig, gotta' have a scale for the jewelry, and with coins for spotting fakes. if you see a rotated die, look for the seam at the rim and the cut off letters. the items shown are sold as magician coins so they likely have a nice shop to slam them out in quantity. I sell them for a profit instead of catch & release. CRH is to make money for face coins, my only cost is the time. just got a $10 bid on the '40 Canada dime with 2 die cracks, and $6 for a '76 clad half with reverse strike thru error. $16 for 60 cents? -----I call that a win!! silver is just a piece of the action with CRH :--) IMG_3471.JPG IMG_3317.JPG
Would like to see that, for sure! ...But probably better make it a new thread - have already sort of hijacked PEA's thread here. :laughing7:

Sorry 'bout that PEA! :occasion14:

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score PEA. That Canadian dime was a recent find wasn't it...nice job turning it around for a sell!

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brock, I recently bought a set of different scales. One is for us, but also for really, anything over 55 lbs. The best one I found was made by Eat Smart. The next was a digital postal scale, good for up to 55 lbs. Next is a small pocket scale (digital) for less than $10 (and is awesome!), and lastly is a small scale accurate to 2 decimal points. It's so sensitive that you have to use the cover, as even your breath changes the readings. We have an old spring-type postal scale but it's just not very accurate.

Normally I'm not much of a digital-age fan, but it sure is nice being able to get such extremely tight and accurate measurements. ...Not sure when I'll get out prospecting and need that ultra-sensitive one, but actually sorta glad we have it now. Thought the wife would be upset at me getting (4) scales! She liked it also.

By far, the one I use most is the pocket scale:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS8LWIW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks bi just ordered this one mine is similar but the numbers are jacked up so an 8 or 0 looks like a 7 because all the bars don't show. I got the old pocket scale from a metal detectors club I joined long ago.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I may need to invest in a more accurate scale. Mine is only to the nearest gram. It's fun to weigh rolls (mostly MWRs) of pennies and arrange them from highest to lowest weight... and then open them. The first rolls of course always have the most copper, and correspondingly, the highest chance of running into a wheat.

Quarters vary A LOT in weight. In my experience, the older (1965-1998) quarters seem to weigh a little more than the 1999-date ones.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the same method with penny rolls. love when they hit over 140 grams. at 130 usually lots of Zincolns, still looking for a clean FE, dug 3---all toasted :--(
I may need to invest in a more accurate scale. Mine is only to the nearest gram. It's fun to weigh rolls (mostly MWRs) of pennies and arrange them from highest to lowest weight... and then open them. The first rolls of course always have the most copper, and correspondingly, the highest chance of running into a wheat.

Quarters vary A LOT in weight. In my experience, the older (1965-1998) quarters seem to weigh a little more than the 1999-date ones.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I use the same method with penny rolls. love when they hit over 140 grams. at 130 usually lots of Zincolns, still looking for a clean FE, dug 3---all toasted :--(

130 g is about the average weight for me. Love seeing the 133+ gram MWR rolls, but at 127 and below, you seldom find many wheats in my experience. And, of course, you never know with the CWRs, though my wheat percentage is a lot worse overall with them... Usually the heavier CWRs don't have wheats as people have usually gone through them. I've found a few rolls which had 40+ coppers, one even had 48!

Good luck with the metal detecting too...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of a recent box, I went through over half the box without a wheat, and without so much as a Canadian cent - even a newer one. But the rest of the box (less than 1/2 box) ended up with over 20 wheats!! Had a 1914, '18, (2) '19, '25, '38, (3) 40's, (2) '41, and several '50-something's. That's about half of the wheats I've held aside so far. ....No, I take that back - the '25 was from a different box. Oh, also found a '40 Canadian. Had an earlier Canadian cent from a different box, but it's back in with the copper cents. ..."Hoping" copper goes up and these copper cents will be sought after as bullion - but don't know. Won't lose anything by holding them, anyhow.

B1GG_NATE

Greenie
Mar 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an amateur magician, I am curious what you do with the Scotch&Soda coins? Do you sell them on eBay?

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found 3 of the coins on 7/29 in 2 boxes. this week the '85-D sold for $9.50, the '78 sold for $8.50. the 78-D has 2 watchers at $8.50 IMG_3531.JPG IMG_3532.JPG IMG_3533.JPG IMG_3536.JPG
As an amateur magician, I am curious what you do with the Scotch&Soda coins? Do you sell them on eBay?

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for the trick___ask B1GG_NATE. for me the trick is turning fiddy cents into $8+, better than finding a few 40% halves, love finding stuff the edge checkers miss :--)
What is a Scotch&Soda coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread