THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought the bags from my new bank with a coin machine and it seems as if others may be using it as a dump sight. Not one single coin to keep out of $2300. I'll check dimes in a week or so in case this was a fluke.

Is it normal to expect at least one silver quarter out of that quantity of quarters?

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
angry_greg_head_explode_big.gif

Last edited:

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn what are you going to do with all those quarters now?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Did you check for errors? Cuds, Die Cracks, severely Misaligned Dies, Doubling, Filled Dies, Repunched Mint Marks, and the dozens of other error types that crop up almost every year. Frequently, if the error is easily visible, the payback can be many times that of the odd piece of silver.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you check for errors? Cuds, Die Cracks, severely Misaligned Dies, Doubling, Filled Dies, Repunched Mint Marks, and the dozens of other error types that crop up almost every year. Frequently, if the error is easily visible, the payback can be many times that of the odd piece of silver.

After all that work, how hard is it to market it and sell?

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did not examine thoroughly enough for anything not visible. I did spot a Kentucky quarter with what seemed to look like a shift in the die as one side of the rim was wider than the other. When you flip it, the opposite rims are the same way. Not apparent enough to keep and the Kettering was not shifted so back in it went.

I'll be checking more thorough for the errors you mentioned. Thanks for the heads up.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately, that's not too unusual. I'd look to see if there are any high grade 1982 and 1983 dated coins in there, along with the scarcer coins from 2009-2012.

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, that's not too unusual. I'd look to see if there are any high grade 1982 and 1983 dated coins in there, along with the scarcer coins from 2009-2012.

I took out a bunch of 82, 83, Wisconsin, and 70's. I'll be reviewing these again. Nothing high grade on the 82/3's but then again if it isn't mint state, I really have no idea how to grade properly.

Is there something you would keep below MS on those?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Brock: same happened to me last fall. Bank accepted about $3100 in CWR's of quarters. Bank knew I was looking for silver and agreed to save them all for me, to be taken at $1000 at a time. Skunked throughout, not a single silver. I know the feeling you had. Keep hunting.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Jadocs, it is not too hard to market errors. Check you local coin shop, post notices with local coin clubs, and keep ads on Craigslist. I use eBay primarily to see what selling prices are for similar coins.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get any foreign coin in the mix... If so you'll have better luck with silver. If not the machine likely rejects foreign and silver coin making the bags pretty skunky.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Quarters bring the absolute lowest silver returns. Over 5 years I average 1 silver quarter per $4,000 searched.

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you get any foreign coin in the mix... If so you'll have better luck with silver. If not the machine likely rejects foreign and silver coin making the bags pretty skunky.

I did get one Bahamas twenty five cent piece. So I'll try a few more bags to determine if they'll always be skunks.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I took out a bunch of 82, 83, Wisconsin, and 70's. I'll be reviewing these again. Nothing high grade on the 82/3's but then again if it isn't mint state, I really have no idea how to grade properly.

Is there something you would keep below MS on those?

I usually pull all of the XF/AU and better 82 and 83 coins... actually do it for all of the clad coins except halves.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easier to find a purple virgin unicorn with a candy apple metallic saddle than a silver qtr. from a bank,, ---I dig my silver qtrs, much better chances---gotta' go____time to feed the unicorn

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a high probability that the banks machine rejects silver. Finding silver quarters is probably the hardest coin to CRH for. Silver quarters are still out there but people seem to recognize them as silver easier so they don't get dumped as often.

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easier to find a purple virgin unicorn with a candy apple metallic saddle than a silver qtr. from a bank,, ---I dig my silver qtrs, much better chances---gotta' go____time to feed the unicorn

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought the bags from my new bank with a coin machine and it seems as if others may be using it as a dump sight. Not one single coin to keep out of $2300. I'll check dimes in a week or so in case this was a fluke.

Is it normal to expect at least one silver quarter out of that quantity of quarters?

I would predict 13 silver dimes from the same amount of float ($2300) - assuming bags off of a bank machine. A bit fewer from the same qty of boxed/rolled coin.
Of course, you are looking at 2.5x as many coins when doing dimes.

I searched $6k in qtrs from bank machine bags and was skunked. I haven't tried since.

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would predict 13 silver dimes from the same amount of float ($2300) - assuming bags off of a bank machine. A bit fewer from the same qty of boxed/rolled coin.
Of course, you are looking at 2.5x as many coins when doing dimes.

I searched $6k in qtrs from bank machine bags and was skunked. I haven't tried since.

I'm going to try dines soon. So are you saying boxes/rolled should yield a bit more than the bags?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread