THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
lol, bounty hunter QuickDraw II
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're sitting in a small town Mexican restaurant and look across the road and spit a small bank established in 1888.

I send my wife across the road to see if they have any halves and she comes back with a bowl. The story the teller gave is that a woman brought the bowl of coins in a few months back meaning to come back for them(I like where his is going) but never did. There is $49 worth of halves and and just opening the lid, I spotted 40% silver. Not all are silver but I can't wait to dig in to these. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1470338619.506758.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There ended up being 17 of the 40% halves. Still no luck on the 70, but I'll keep digging.

Stopped an hour down the road at another bank who had $9.50 in halves and four were 40%. Good day hopping banks. We ended up with 21 40% silver halves and two $2 star notes.

I have $600 worth of consecutive serials in $2 bills and still have $1k in halves sealed to search this week. We made a long run from 6:15am to 5pm, total about 400 miles and a tank and 1/2 of fuel. Just treasure hunting outside the box or outside our locality.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel bad when the parking meter demands 10 cents to pick up halves. I park in the lower lot for bank customers---no stinkin' meters there :--). call me "frugal"

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great scores but you should have sent your wife back to the Bank established in 1888 to see if the woman brought in some Quarters and Dimes as well. You might have scored more Silver.

Frank

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great scores but you should have sent your wife back to the Bank established in 1888 to see if the woman brought in some Quarters and Dimes as well. You might have scored more Silver.

Frank

Dang it, I need to start thinking faster. I'll be going through in a week or so again. I've been on halves so long I forget to check others.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
There ended up being 17 of the 40% halves. Still no luck on the 70, but I'll keep digging.

Stopped an hour down the road at another bank who had $9.50 in halves and four were 40%. Good day hopping banks. We ended up with 21 40% silver halves and two $2 star notes.

Nice.... from the picture, I saw at least 6... good to know the rest of the bowl was nice as well!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have to move there!! Great finds do you evr ask if they might have any older rolls. Just curious I'm new to this

OP
OP
THBrock

THBrock

Jul 25, 2016
Grand Prairie, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett, green something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might have to move there!! Great finds do you evr ask if they might have any older rolls. Just curious I'm new to this

I just ask for all they have. I usually buy up Halves, dollars if they have any, and any two's they might have. I find a few star notes in great shape on those two's and I find the coins I want then dump the rest. We found a near uncirculated 87P half dollar the other day. Thinking about sending it for grading. If you have a set limit you have available for purchasing, just buy all you can and when you dump the ones you don't want, go get more. I usually buy all they have though. I've never seen more than $2k and I can stretch that sometimes. Usually it $500 or less. My luckiest score was a $50 five rolls and one full roll of silver out of that. Sometime quantity isn't all that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread