More than just COINS !

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Many time when I'm picking up my coin boxes or CWR's, I might ask if they have ever come across (*) star notes. Most tellers don't even know what they are, and then when I ask further about "ECHO" or "RADAR" notes, that really throws them for a loop. Have you guys asked your tellers about the same three? Comments?

Upvote 0

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost embarrassed to admit that I am not familiar with echo or radar notes. Almost, not quite.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have never asked about stars, radars, or echos. I have asked if they have any older currency. Was offered older style 100's but they were to rich for my blood.

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if any tellers knew what they were they would b keeping them for their selves

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask for older bills, anything that is 1950 and before, and silver certificate or red seals. Just picked up a 1950 $20, 1934 $20 and a 1934 $50. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost embarrassed to admit that I am not familiar with echo or radar notes. Almost, not quite.

A radar note is a bill with the serial # that is the same forwards and backwards like the word RADAR.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry that I didn't explain in detail:
Star note is a serial number ending with a * asterisk (it is a repeat of a serial #sequence of sheets that were misprinted, mutilated, trashed, so they have to account for the serial #'s. If you look up on the web, you could find some very interesting facts on that particular star note sequence.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
ECHO note is exactly that: the serial number is only eight digits, so it repeats itself as, 34563456.
RADAR note is the reverse of the first four digits as, 34566543.
Naturally all serial numbers have an alpha character at the end so that they can print billions of eight digit notes, but with the alpha making the difference.
Now that I confused most, it does bring new light into collecting, but with a little bigger $ at stake. STAR notes are the quickest to notice out of a strapped stack of bills. Try it, it can be interesting & fun, and some bills can also be worth some bucks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dozer D, I found a new 2009A series $100 bill that is a radar (example: 123454321), but obviously not as fancy as the number given in my example... is it worth keeping? Or is it a spender because people generally can't afford to save $100 bills? I've had it for a couple of years now and its in decent shape.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Buff: I would say take it in to your LCS to see if it has any value. I don't have any idea. Good job

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
ECHO note is exactly that: the serial number is only eight digits, so it repeats itself as, 34563456.
RADAR note is the reverse of the first four digits as, 34566543.
Naturally all serial numbers have an alpha character at the end so that they can print billions of eight digit notes, but with the alpha making the difference.
Now that I confused most, it does bring new light into collecting, but with a little bigger $ at stake. STAR notes are the quickest to notice out of a strapped stack of bills. Try it, it can be interesting & fun, and some bills can also be worth some bucks.

Is not a ECHO note the same as a RADAR Repeater?

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dozer D, I found a new 2009A series $100 bill that is a radar (example: 123454321), but obviously not as fancy as the number given in my example... is it worth keeping? Or is it a spender because people generally can't afford to save $100 bills? I've had it for a couple of years now and its in decent shape.

I believe that your Note is not only a Radar but also a Ladder Radar Note! The Serial Number climbs up then back down. Any Ladder Note is very desirable and very hard to find!

Frank

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, the numbers I used were just an example though since I don't know the serial number off the top of my head, but my bill is not a Ladder Radar note... The numbers may be more like 14899841.
I believe that your Note is not only a Radar but also a Ladder Radar Note! The Serial Number climbs up then back down. Any Ladder Note is very desirable and very hard to find!

Frank

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. My LCS is not very knowledgeable on stuff like that, they are basically in it for scrapping silver and gold and trying to sell overpriced junk coins. I wouldn't trust their word for anything.
Buff: I would say take it in to your LCS to see if it has any value. I don't have any idea. Good job

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too much info for most tellers to handle. Even star notes are a lot for them. If you teach them pretty soon they'll be showing you the stuff they have collected and you will have a new dump bank on your hands lol. It happens as staff moves around. A PICTURE IS WORTH ALL THE WORDS. I show pics in my phone of a red and blue seal note, and/or a pic of a buffalo nickel, merc dime and walking liberty half or barber. If anyone asks what they are worth I say "not much, but to me they are priceless". I only show a teller the pics if there is no line and they have been trying to save me stuff but don't know what to save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread