Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys,

I've been doing some research on the best ways to get a date off of a dateless buffalo nickel and I decided to give this Nic-A-Date stuff a try. I used it on 6 dateless buffaloes that I had lying around, one of which I found coin roll hunting, and I was extremely surprised with the results. I documented this process and came up with the video below. Give it a watch and let me know if you have had similar results, thanks!

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nick-a-date is not new. It's been around since the 60's when I started using it on dateless buffs. It works for missing fillers in the collection.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick-a-date is not new. It's been around since the 60's when I started using it on dateless buffs. It works for missing fillers in the collection.

I know it's not new, but I could not find a proper video anywhere on the internet that shows how well it works. I figured I would make one so that if you're thinking about buying the product, you can have an idea of how well it works and how fast it works. I was very surprised with my results so I thought I'd share.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 70's, I had a bunch of nick-a-dated Buffaloes, nothing fancy...then in High School, my house got robbed, lost everything. A few years later, getting back into the coin collecting hobby, I got into crh...
I found 4 buffaloes with the nickadate, I swear they were mine, and they found their way home.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 70's, I had a bunch of nick-a-dated Buffaloes, nothing fancy...then in High School, my house got robbed, lost everything. A few years later, getting back into the coin collecting hobby, I got into crh...
I found 4 buffaloes with the nickadate, I swear they were mine, and they found their way home.

Incredible story...hopefully some more of the lost goods will find their way back to you as well.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool video. I've got several dateless Buffalos. Maybe next time I go into my coin dealer, I'll grab some. I'm long overdue for a visit.

Jajo

Mar 20, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
It has worked extremely well form me, revealing dates on slicked out coins where you can not see the F under the date. The coins I have used it on have showed a date and have probably been a grade or 2 lower than that buffalo in the thumbnail of the youtube video.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried this on dug nickels?? I've been wondering that, so it's nice to see this come up in the threads....

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone tried this on dug nickels?? I've been wondering that, so it's nice to see this come up in the threads....

Funny you should ask! I gave it a try in the video. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful with the one that I've dug. The product seemed to just smoothen the date area and no matter how much I applied, I was unable to pick up on any marks near the date area. It was a pretty far gone buffalo though...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nic a date is nice. It takes away a lot of value from a key date or a semi key date but a date less buffalo nickel is essentially worthless anyways. Glad you enjoy it!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nic-a-date works well on buffalos found in change and collections.

better you do it. than a dealer do it down the road.

a dateless buffalo to a dealer is worth .8 maybe 10 cents on a good day.
however if you put nic-a date on it before he does and it turns out to be a 1918-d 8 over 7 buffalo no amount of nic-a-date will devalue it that much :laughing7:

but it does not work at all on my dug ones.
I think the ground Changes their Composition a Bit too much.
and the acid seeps in the metal

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might work on coppers too

No. coppers are too soft.
This is why Dug Nickles don't work. the ground softens the nickle/copper Content

makes them "Porous" is the word I was looking for

there may be a Diluted combination that would work.
But you'd destroy allot of Coppers before you get the right mixture.

I've tried Nic-a-date on Silver & Copper coins in the past.
Don't remember the results, But Know it didn't make an impression on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a dateless buffalo to a dealer is worth .8 maybe 10 cents on a good day.
however if you put nic-a date on it before he does and it turns out to be a 1918-d 8 over 7 buffalo no amount of nic-a-date will devalue it that much :laughing7:

This is exactly what I had to explain to some guy in the YouTube comments! Lol I even used the same example, 1918-d 8 over 7, which will even show up through the nic-a-date method. It sure would be nice to find one of those!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread