Question on avg/box, skunks, new's

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I count the skunks but not news, just like you. I'm averaging about 7/box on halves this year due to a 30+ & 40+ box a few weeks back, and low volume this year. I normally avg about 2/box. No new ones tho.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found silver in any box but nickels for so long I forgot what it looks like. Been getting mine in CWR's.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I count boxes with circulated change only since I technically don't search boxes of brand new coins. I just dump those.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, too, count the skunks (50% this year) for halves, but not the unopened dime boxes. Mean per non-skunk box is 2.5, mode is 1 per box

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I do the same as you for all denominations. New boxes/rolls don't get counted, skunks do. I rarely get boxes (usually it's 1/2 boxes or some other roll quantity) so I inspect the rolls as I'm getting them. One of my main banks got a bunch of brand new LOOMIS pennies yesterday, and about the 3rd roll in, I stopped my teller because they were all 2016-Ds...

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't found silver in any box but nickels for so long I forgot what it looks like. Been getting mine in CWR's.

I've had my best silver success in Nickels and Halves with MWRs, but for the Dimes and Quarters it's been CWRs which have given me the best results. I haven't done many Dime or Quarter rolls of late thanks to my recent Nickel and Cent success, along with my bank getting lots of Halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread