kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard of 2-faced coins before, but this takes the cake! There's some paper glued on the reverse - looks like it might have been mailed out in some sort of bulk mailing? Maybe a good luck coin? Who knows - I sure don't!

Enjoy!! :occasion14:

2-Faced Cent.jpg

2-Faced Cent - close-up.jpg

Upvote 0

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good pictures. Over the years I have found about 10 of these. None of mine had any sign of glue/paper.

Thanks for the post.

Tom

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew what these were at one time...But forget...I have a couple somewhere...I actually think they are collectible if I remember right... Memory sucks!!!:laughing7:
Lincoln/Kennedy penny..Yes some were glued to a card or paper with a description.....

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a counter stamped coin that came with a card comparing the similarities of Kennedy and Lincoln.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to do a bit more research into this and see what all the story is behind it.

I once worked at a place that had a laser engraver. We made carbide insert bits for all kinds of cutting. Had to etch info on the side without damaging the bit.

Still have the pair of scissors that I engraved my name on. However, never even occurred to me to do anything to a coin. ...Guess I saw it about the same as taking a pen or marker and writing all over a paper bill. Just ain't right. But in this instance, it's actually a fun coin to see. Helps to break the monotony a bit.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems to be quite a few out there. Some have sold on eBay for anywhere from $0.99 to nearly $5, but they were all still glued to their original cards.

Still, a fun coin! :thumbsup:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at this!... Ive had this for years....
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

No doubt, as advertising tool, there were millions made for companies all over the U.S.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a couple in change too, but hadn't seen the card before.

OP
OP
kcm

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey, do a web search for "Lincoln Kennedy Penny" and you'll see lots of different cards. Some are much nicer than others.

What gets me is, I'd swear up and down I've seen something like this before - either someone else posted one, or maybe I saw one in real life. Darnit, can't keep the ol' noggin working right no more! :BangHead: (<-- like THIS is gonna help!!) :laughing9:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey, do a web search for "Lincoln Kennedy Penny" and you'll see lots of different cards. Some are much nicer than others.

What gets me is, I'd swear up and down I've seen something like this before - either someone else posted one, or maybe I saw one in real life. Darnit, can't keep the ol' noggin working right no more! :BangHead: (<-- like THIS is gonna help!!) :laughing9:

I know there was a post a while back...But when I was going through lots of cents, they would turn up from time to time....So, you have probably seen it both places...:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Pretty cool, first time seeing one of these.

I did however back in the 90's find a quarter that had the head pushed out of it and it was stamped with the James Avery hallmark. Still got that somewhere; now seeing this I have to go dig around to see if I can find it. Been years since I have seen it but with the net today I may be able to figure it out.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got one of these I found years ago around somewhere. Pretty sure it's a 1974 or 1975.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread