Question about bags

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
A credit union with a coin counter that I have been asking about selling me the bags from the machine has finally said they would. I have been asking them for over 2 years.
I know that crh are not dumping into it because they charge even if you are a member of the credit union.
The half dollar bag they said fills up about once a year and they will let me know when it is full. Today it had $723.00 in it.
The others fill up somewhat regularly. What do you think would be my best bet for silver?

Upvote 0

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've put the $277 in bag, fill it up, pay the fee and see what it has.

:coffee2: I agree with Twitch. You never know how long it will take to have the bag filled. Also they might change their minds & not want to sell you the bag when it's full. All you stand to lose is the cost of the fee. Around here the credit unions won't sell you the bags off the machines. Also since TD Bank has closed down their coin machines, the remaining banks & credit unions have seen a large increase in dumping of coins in their machines.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
HH
Gary

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah... definitely take in $277 worth and dump it... Given that those halves have likely come from many different people, chances are there is definitely some silver lurking in those $723 worth of halves.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago when I did CRH I ask my local credit union the usual questions. They didn't have any so they called their main branch about ten miles away because it had a coin counter. I was told it had a few hundred $$ in it and I could buy it. But then they did something I never heard of before. They said come back tomorrow and the bag would be here. I came back the next day and as I was paying found out the vault teller actually drove it there, in her own car, after she got off work. I still use this bank for my business account.

OH, to answer your question, good chance it will have silver. My bag did REAL good. Can't remember the details but every hand full I pulled out silver. Probably more than $30 in halves JFJ, Ben and the Lady.

I gave up CRH years ago when they started getting scarce so I started yard sales and cell phone recycling.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it would cost you roughly $25 in fees to fill up the half dollar bag.. I would go for it like others have said, you never know if they will change their mind later on. Before you dump, however, make sure they will sell you the filled bag. Its worth the gamble to me. Good luck!

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully this is not a stupid question. How do you know when the bag is full? What happens when the bag is full and more have been put in to the machine.
I have never used a coin counter before.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine should stop and either make a sound that notifies the tellers that a bag is full or it will tell you to ask for assistance. Then the teller will come out, open the machine, remove the bag, seal it, and put a new empty bag on. Then they close the machine up and then the rest of your coins will be counted. Although I recommend dumping coins in slowly because you don't want to pay more of a fee than you have to.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
The machine should stop and either make a sound that notifies the tellers that a bag is full or it will tell you to ask for assistance. Then the teller will come out, open the machine, remove the bag, seal it, and put a new empty bag on. Then they close the machine up and then the rest of your coins will be counted. Although I recommend dumping coins in slowly because you don't want to pay more of a fee than you have to.

Thank you BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on. When my one bank would sell me bags off of their machine I had to agree that the bag is sold "as is" and if there was a loss the bank was no longer liable. Unfortunately I can't buy bags from this bank anymore because someone from upper management took notice and put a stop to it. I've never had a bag over $1 short.

Also, if there is a shortage, you must accept the loss quietly.

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree - the bag from the CU probably has some good stuff. The others that fill up more frequently probably have searched halves from other CRH ers. Many times the TD Bank bags would have CRH searched halves - only once did I see silver in a TD bag.

Top it off, search through it and let us know what you find!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on. When my one bank would sell me bags off of their machine I had to agree that the bag is sold "as is" and if there was a loss the bank was no longer liable. Unfortunately I can't buy bags from this bank anymore because someone from upper management took notice and put a stop to it. I've never had a bag over $1 short.

The banks around me stopped selling bags because people complained they were off.

Here's a hint: if they're full of silver, do you bring the difference in value back to the bank? So if you're a few bucks short, isn't that the risk you take for the payoff?

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never complained about the count. Its just that every other branch of this bank in the area won't sell bags off of the machine but I was able to get this one to do so. The whole gig lasted a few months and I had a couple decent bags but upper management caught on and put an end to it. The bank is now a dump bank and the coin machine counts spot on all the time.
The banks around me stopped selling bags because people complained they were off.

Here's a hint: if they're full of silver, do you bring the difference in value back to the bank? So if you're a few bucks short, isn't that the risk you take for the payoff?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never complained about the count. Its just that every other branch of this bank in the area won't sell bags off of the machine but I was able to get this one to do so. The whole gig lasted a few months and I had a couple decent bags but upper management caught on and put an end to it. The bank is now a dump bank and the coin machine counts spot on all the time.

Oh I know. You're smarter and more experienced than that. I'm just posting that info for people who are in it for profit but can't suffer a minor loss.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......but upper management caught on and put an end to it. The bank is now a dump bank

Don't you just love "upper mgmt"? Those suits are just like boot officers in the military. They probably just needed to make some important decision before going home.

please dump away till that same suit sees you and then feels he has to make another ruling.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Ditto. Have done it dozens of times, and occasionally have put close to $500 in to fill it. "You can't win if you don't play."

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will continue to dump here until they tell me no more. Unfortunately that will be the end of coin machine dumping for me, so I hope that day never comes.
Don't you just love "upper mgmt"? Those suits are just like boot officers in the military. They probably just needed to make some important decision before going home.

please dump away till that same suit sees you and then feels he has to make another ruling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread