Snagged 10 more pieces of silver

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
While in Michigan for the past few weeks I have not had a lot of time to go bank hunting for silver. Happened to be in a small town yesterday and had about 1/2 hour to kill. Stopped in a couple of banks and asked for any halves they might of had. One bank said if your not a member of the bank, we can only sell you 2 rolls max. Ok so I bought those and found nothing. Second bank said they had $140 in rolls, but if your looking for silver they were dropped of by a local fellow that searched them for silver and there was none. I said that's OK I will still take them. Well the searcher was not doing a very good job, found 10 40% silver coins. I always buy those already searched rolls, you never know how good the rolls were actually searched. Never Give Up!!

Upvote 0

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess a lot of people don't know/care about 40%ers. After all, they are just too much trouble to look for since you can't really just edge check. </sarc>

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
While in Michigan for the past few weeks I have not had a lot of time to go bank hunting for silver. Happened to be in a small town yesterday and had about 1/2 hour to kill. Stopped in a couple of banks and asked for any halves they might of had. One bank said if your not a member of the bank, we can only sell you 2 rolls max. Ok so I bought those and found nothing. Second bank said they had $140 in rolls, but if your looking for silver they were dropped of by a local fellow that searched them for silver and there was none. I said that's OK I will still take them. Well the searcher was not doing a very good job, found 10 40% silver coins. I always buy those already searched rolls, you never know how good the rolls were actually searched. Never Give Up!!

Well done!!!

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is frustrating...only because I just ran a very elaborate bank run in northern Michigan and got zip out of it...oh well, better luck next time. Congrats on the silver.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they only look for 90% and don't even consider the 40% silver. Nice job on the re-search of the searched rolls!

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Educated guess here... but what most likely happened is that the teller did take in halves that were searched, but some other rolls got turned in with silver and got stored with the searched halves.

This happens out here a lot, I've got competition with a hunter that turns in marked rolls all the time at different banks. The tellers always say they've been gone through. I say, "That's Ok, i'll take them off your hands anyways" and the tellers appreciate it.

About a month ago this happened with about $200 of cwr. $180 marked and $20 not marked. Scored a few 40%ers from the $20. Allways Buy Them All :tongue3:

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on 2 different occasions different banks have said thing and in February found 20 or so 40% from already searched rolls and last week found 4 40%

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I think they only look for 90% and don't even consider the 40% silver. Nice job on the re-search of the searched rolls!

This is one of the reasons I always date check my coins. Sometimes I find dimes that appear stained like TEA, and if you only rim checked, they could easily pass as clad. And I'm sure the 40% halves appear many a time the same as a clad.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The head teller (manager) in my bank looks for silver but told me only 64 and back she didn't know about 40% halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread