cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got off the phone with a Well Fargo teller. I stopped by his branch a few days ago and he was off but another teller thought he had $280 in halves locked up under his counter.

I called just to make sure he was in and verify the coins. Well he didn't have but a few. Then he said if I was looking for silver he pulls out all he can find (friendly conversation) because he was a "rare coin collector" I thought he was a fellow CRHer so I told him I do to. Then he said he pulls all the "pre '65" he sees. I told him I found an 1886 Morgan Dollar and he said what is that?

End of conversation! :P A rare coin collector that thinks silver stopped being made in 1964 and had never heard of a Morgan.
;) :D ;D 8)

Upvote 0

oldred

Jan 21, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber
cyberdan said:
I just got off the phone with a Well Fargo teller. I stopped by his branch a few days ago and he was off but another teller thought he had $280 in halves locked up under his counter.

I called just to make sure he was in and verify the coins. Well he didn't have but a few. Then he said if I was looking for silver he pulls out all he can find (friendly conversation) because he was a "rare coin collector" I thought he was a fellow CRHer so I told him I do to. Then he said he pulls all the "pre '65" he sees. I told him I found an 1886 Morgan Dollar and he said what is that?

End of conversation! :P A rare coin collector that thinks silver stopped being made in 1964 and had never heard of a Morgan.
;) :D ;D 8)

Sounds like a teller who was being a wise guy to state it politely. It probably knows people are searching the halfs for silver and had to make this comment. I see this more from tellers lately.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
He is playing dumb cyberdan. I had a teller in Georgia do a similar thing, but she had a smirk on her face. She thought I didn't know any better. I played along and didn't correct her.

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Could be he is playing dumb or didn't really know. I have found some Eisenhower dollars and the tellers couldnt tell they were dollar coins despite them saying "dollar" Go figure! ::)
Pepperpump ;D

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I had to buy a part today for my weed trimmer, and I paid with halves. The lady next to me asked,. "Can I check the dates?" I played dumb and asked what she was looking for. She said anything before 1965. I asked why, and this time the guy behind the counter spoke up and said, "Only 1964 and earlier have any silver in them." Okey doke! ::)

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
scotto said:
I had to buy a part today for my weed trimmer, and I paid with halves. The lady next to me asked,. "Can I check the dates?" I played dumb and asked what she was looking for. She said anything before 1965. I asked why, and this time the guy behind the counter spoke up and said, "Only 1964 and earlier have any silver in them." Okey doke! ::)

Yep!
Been there done that!
A lot of tellers do that - but I had one pulling all the 40% as she sold me her loose from the tray the other day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions