Kroger/Coinstar score!!

ChokeandStroke

Greenie
Aug 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at my neighborhood Kroger that has a bank inside to dump some dimes and did the compulsory Coinstar reject slot check that has netted three quarters and four dimes over the last several years to find a Kroger employee using the Coinstar machine. I asked her if she minded if I check her rejects and she said yes. I told her she had silver and she said "ok". She had '53 and a '50 quarters and '53 and '64 Roosies. I offered her $5 for the lot and she said they belonged to Kroger but she would see what the manager said. She came back to tell me she would just swap me $0.70 for the silver. I told her the spot price but she said she wasn't interested in any of it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 129

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Score! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

ChokeandStroke

Greenie
Aug 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I've been lurking for a while but never posted. I've been CRH for five years and I recently started metal detecting.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!!!!

I've gotta ask though... Please explain your username... Every time i see it I can't stop laughing :laughing7:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I've been lurking for a while but never posted. I've been CRH for five years and I recently started metal detecting.

Welcome to the site.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at my neighborhood Kroger that has a bank inside to dump some dimes and did the compulsory Coinstar reject slot check that has netted three quarters and four dimes over the last several years to find a Kroger employee using the Coinstar machine. I asked her if she minded if I check her rejects and she said yes. I told her she had silver and she said "ok". She had '53 and a '50 quarters and '53 and '64 Roosies. I offered her $5 for the lot and she said they belonged to Kroger but she would see what the manager said. She came back to tell me she would just swap me $0.70 for the silver. I told her the spot price but she said she wasn't interested in any of it.

Very Cool.
I scored another 1963 Dime just 3 day's ago.
Also admire your Honesty .

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves. The last time I checked a Coinstar at Walmart, they said the machine and any coins belong to Coinstar and not to the store. That's what customer service told me, so if that is the case the store has no say in what is in the reject tray. Anyone have any other input?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll give you $5 for them.

RTH

Sep 22, 2015
Hunterdon County NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, White's MXT, Minelab EQ800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe what I find left in coinstar machines. In the past year I have found at least $15. Twice over a dollar's worth of rejects, including 3 silver dimes and a 10K ring! I guess people that are willing to pay 10.8% to dump their change don't really care about leaving a few "worthless" coins behind.

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score on the silver quarters......and sounds like some friendly managers at the kroger. Finding a silver quarter in the coinstar is my white whale. Never found one!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CAS...welcome! Welcome to Tnet and to the great hobby of metal detecting/relic hunting. So...ive only slightly dabbled in CRH...and from what I gather, especially in the CRH forums, that it's getting to be really slim pickings nowadays...and while silver in the ground is slowing down too...there are sites out there that have NEVER been touched...and they produce very well. What machine do you have or plan to have? I wish you the best of luck...You may have found Silver in the ROLL....but ain't NOTHING like Silver in the HOLE!! GL &HH, ddf.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves. The last time I checked a Coinstar at Walmart, they said the machine and any coins belong to Coinstar and not to the store. That's what customer service told me, so if that is the case the store has no say in what is in the reject tray. Anyone have any other input?

Whatever is left in the reject tray is fair game for whoever checks it first. If coins are left in the reject tray it's just like finding coins on the ground.

I took all of my reject clad finds from the last year and a half and bought myself a PCGS stabbed 1852 trime graded EF40.

OP
OP
C

ChokeandStroke

Greenie
Aug 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The coins belonged to Kroger. The employee was dumping two large pitchers of coins I assume they didn't want to roll and was willing to pay the 10.8%.

OP
OP
C

ChokeandStroke

Greenie
Aug 15, 2016
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CAS...welcome! Welcome to Tnet and to the great hobby of metal detecting/relic hunting. So...ive only slightly dabbled in CRH...and from what I gather, especially in the CRH forums, that it's getting to be really slim pickings nowadays...and while silver in the ground is slowing down too...there are sites out there that have NEVER been touched...and they produce very well. What machine do you have or plan to have? I wish you the best of luck...You may have found Silver in the ROLL....but ain't NOTHING like Silver in the HOLE!! GL &HH, ddf.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I love finding silver but it has gotten pretty tough and slim pickings. I have a bounty hunter pro as my first detector. It was affordable and gives me a chance to see how I like the hobby without dropping too much cash. My GF and I went to the Bolivar peninsula and walked about a mile of beach and found one piece of what looks like aluminum. I live in Houston so the beach is a good place to start.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread