Something interesting happened at my first half dollar dump

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted my first box of halves the other day and after reading so many posts (I'm working my way back through the thread and I'm on page 10) I realize how lucky I was to get 7 40% halves in one box.

I've also read through the beginners thread because I hate asking questions that have already been answered.

Anyway, I needed to dump the first box of halves and went to a CU I've been a member of for years. They have the coin counter in the lobby. I started dumping my halves and it "jammed" up about $350 in. Turns out, the half dollar bag was full. I asked one of the tellers over and she came and pulled the full bag. I've never seen inside one of those machines before and I wish I could have searched the half dollars that were in the bag before mine. She replaced the bag and I proceeded to dump the other halves in and get my receipt. I took it to the counter, half hoping that a different teller would assist me. As luck would have it, my turn came and the same teller that emptied the bag was the one who called me up. I told her I'd like to make the deposit for the coins and withdraw $500 (for one of the two boxes my other bank is ordering me for Friday). She said ok. I sheepishly asked her if she had any loose halves or any rolls in the back. She said no, they don't keep them. I thought maybe she was mad about me filling the coin machine and just didn't want to look in the back and then she said, "We can order you another box of halves if you want." I kind of paused and said, "You'd do that for me even though I just dumped all those others?" She said, "Of course. Emptying the coin machine is our job. We do it all the time."

After reading so many bad stories about tellers who are mean or angry about the coins, I was surprised that my first experience was so good. I told her yes, I'd love to order a box and I assured her that I would NOT be dumping that box back in her machine. She assured me that it was no problem, and I will need to use that bank to dump sometimes, but I won't abuse it. She was very cool about the whole thing. I think the next time I do go in to dump, if she's there, I'll offer to bring her a cold drink or something just to say thanks.

So I have two boxes of halves coming on Friday and then another on Monday. Where has this hobby been all my life? :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dumped over $240,000 at my CU. they refuse to sell coin to personal account holders and many tellers are snipers. the good news is they are my main source for star notes as payment for the dumps. I always ask for Fiddys. sold 2 *notes for $60, one sold for $73. also got a $100* and $1*. the notes are always salad crispy :---). the reject tray is a bonanza of wheat, clad, a few silvers and a 1909VDB, plus a mangled 14K ring that got wedged in the wheel. getting paid to dump makes up for not selling me coin. most tellers are nice, the free coffee keeps me alert for digging and I always show them my search winners and dug treasures. 2 half boxes waiting for pick up today plus other coin from 2 more banks, love buying money to make money :--)

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with dumping and ordering at the same location. It all sounds good until they get sick of it and it does happen.

Did you ask her if you could buy those bags? If you can I'd buy them for awhile and not dump there.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with dumping and ordering at the same location. It all sounds good until they get sick of it and it does happen.

Did you ask her if you could buy those bags? If you can I'd buy them for awhile and not dump there.

I don't plan on dumping there anymore. Since she volunteered to order my coins, I don't want to ruin that. I asked about buying the bags and she said no. I'll ask someone else on Monday when I go to pick up the box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions