Barber Half in teller tray!

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some extra time today so I hit up a few small banks that I haven't been to in a few months.
First bank, ask for halves, teller at the drive up window turns and says I have $2.50 loose and a roll. I said I would take everything they got. My teller says, I'll go get the ones from the safe. Other teller puts the $2.50 and roll on the counter, I see a 40 and think that's a good sign. 6 more rolls from the safe and I'm out of there. Rolls produce 9 more 40's.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474064326.666194.jpg
Next bank a few miles away is a real small one, I have gotten very little from this bank. Teller says I have $6 loose, and when she picks them up I see IT.....
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474064673.546527.jpg
.....I say I'll take whatever you have. She counts them out and then tells me they have $420, and grabs the box of rewraps....I politely refused them and said I like the CWRs and not the rewraps. Oh that's ok, we understand. The other teller says, you have a quarter? I sure do....and puts this on the counter.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474064742.698648.jpg
She was going to save for no reason so she let me have it. We chat for a few minutes and now I'll be stopping at that bank more often to pick up whatever they can hold on to for me. My first Barber Half. [emoji41] Thanks.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, but remember, always take them all. You said you would take them all then didn't. You will continue to do well at that bank by getting rid of the halves they really don't want. Besides, we all know how everyone thinks there's nothing in them then you find what someone missed.

OP
OP
barneyb71

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My funds were very limited today and they have never had more then $100 at this bank. When I was talking with them they said a few members buy the boxes from the main branch a few miles away then bring them there to dump. If I have some extra funds over the next month I plan on buying them and dumping at my dump bank just to move them out of the area.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Great finds! Some people might not believe you actually got those from a tellers tray, but it happened to me too. It really does happen. You gotta love it!

Nice finds, but remember, always take them all. You said you would take them all then didn't. You will continue to do well at that bank by getting rid of the halves they really don't want. Besides, we all know how everyone thinks there's nothing in them then you find what someone missed.

This. Can't emphasize it enough. I've got a bank where they started saving silver for me after I started taking their dumps away. They order boxes for me, and know I don't want the rewraps, but literary ask me if I'll take the extra box they get every few months. I sure as heck don't want it, but I take it anyway just to make them happy. Believe me, it pays off in the end!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive teller tray find. It's so crazy how we are finding coins this old in teller trays!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel7 has a good point. You don't want to wiffle waffle with any bank you want to do regular stops at. I always either pick them up and take them to my dump bank for them or ask how much they need to get the courier to get rid of them. I did a massive dump on a bank that said they need $1000 before they courier them away. They had a searched $500 box. I brought them two more boxes plus.They were happy, I was happy. Another bank had $240 and needed $500 . I went to the trunk got them $260 and we were happy. I didn't feel too weird going by to get a few rolls from them two months later. I had explained at the dumping that while I usually want the halves I want to help the boxes go on their way lol. If you want to be a hero, buy the obvious dumps and they will usually save you coins because they know you will take them. Unless your wad doesn't allow you to pick up volume. Then you have to pick your battles...

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, never buy selectively, and if you can afford to; buy them all.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have enough at least tell them you'll be back for the rest in a few days.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't have enough at least tell them you'll be back for the rest in a few days.

This is the arrangement I have with one of my banks when they get in a LARGE QUANTITY of CWR's. They let me buy what I can now & the rest at a later date. Works out great for me.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was it that found a busted half in a teller tray?? I tried searching but came up empty. I definitely remember someone finding one

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait until the day I actually find a bank with CWR so I CAN buy them all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread