Two Dime Boxes - Pretty Nice!

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi all,

I was at my bank and I bought a box of dimes from them on a whim. I brought it home and checked it over.

The results:

Seven Rosie's - (5)'64 D's, '63, '60.

Two Canadian - '59, '43.

One Mercury Head - '42 D.

Ten silver pieces.

The next day I went back to buy a second box and I found that the tellers saved me a '43 Steel Wheatie. I love my lucky bank! :thumb_up:

The results:

Seventeen Rosie's - (7) '64 D, (3) '63 D, '62 D, '61 D, '58 D, '56 D, (2) '54 D, '53 D.

One Mercury Head - '25 D.

Eighteen silver pieces.

The boxes weren't as good as my eighty piece score, but I'll take it! I've been on a hot streak lately!

P1000598.JPG

Upvote 0

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never searched dime boxes....I'd be happy with those results!
Thanks for posting.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are incredible results. I'd buy up every dime box in that bank, and hit up other branches of that same bank too.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some great finds! I searched about $150,000 before I quit. Finds like that make me want to start up again, if it weren't for dealing with banks!

OP
OP
smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some great finds! I searched about $150,000 before I quit. Finds like that make me want to start up again, if it weren't for dealing with banks!

Yeah. I highly recommend dimes. It has been really slow on all my other boxes (quarters & halves).

I've had the best experience with my banks lately. The tellers I've dealt with are super nice at my pickup and dump banks. There are also no fees at my dump bank (I use Old National), and my pickup bank will let me order as many coins as I want. Both banks also save me coins that I'm looking for, which is pretty outstanding.

What banks were you dealing with that were a let-down?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. I highly recommend dimes. It has been really slow on all my other boxes (quarters & halves).

I've had the best experience with my banks lately. The tellers I've dealt with are super nice at my pickup and dump banks. There are also no fees at my dump bank (I use Old National), and my pickup bank will let me order as many coins as I want. Both banks also save me coins that I'm looking for, which is pretty outstanding.

What banks were you dealing with that were a let-down?
"What banks were you dealing with that were a let-down"

All of them. They were great for a year or two. Then, the fees started. Not fees for ordering boxes, but minimum balance fees (to which I complied) and they kept upping the ante. Direct deposit fees, they kept upping the minimum. Also, general maintainance fees. The fees put my accounts into negative interest rates. One bank, Flagstar, was the worst. I joined through a relative's reference, and we both had $50 deposited into our accounts. Within six months my $50 balance was close to zero lol. I dropped those theives like a hot potato. Comerica Bank was another. BOA also.

I am now with credit unions, of which I'm part owner.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my average is 1 silver for 3 boxes. no Mercs in over a year. steel Canada junk-1 per box. grabbed 2 dime boxes, box of qtrs. & 2 halves boxes today________hey, ya' never know until the wrapper comes off :---). you struck a hot vein of AG!!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a credit union or two is a smart move
Fist. I love my credit union and they just got a coin machine where you pour all of your coin in shut the lid and hit start. I swear this thing counted $500 in halves in less
Than 2 minutes. The things a monster it sounds like it's turning the coins into scrap

OP
OP
smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to dump at a credit union. They had a collection machine that kept gipping me of about $1-3 of coin every dump (the machine had a closed top, and whenever the tellers would open the machine I would see my coins stuck at the bottom of the machine... and they said that they couldn't retrieve them or credit me for the "lost" coin), the machine also couldn't process halves either because it would jam up after counting two single coins. The tellers were also a little rude and made snippy comments about having to carry the coins back to the vault.

The banks that I switched to are all very polite and I haven't had a miscount yet.

DimebagDon

Nov 18, 2016
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was at my bank and I bought a box of dimes from them on a whim. I brought it home and checked it over.

The results:

Seven Rosie's - (5)'64 D's, '63, '60.

Two Canadian - '59, '43.

One Mercury Head - '42 D.

Ten silver pieces.

The next day I went back to buy a second box and I found that the tellers saved me a '43 Steel Wheatie. I love my lucky bank! :thumb_up:

The results:

Seventeen Rosie's - (7) '64 D, (3) '63 D, '62 D, '61 D, '58 D, '56 D, (2) '54 D, '53 D.

One Mercury Head - '25 D.

Eighteen silver pieces.

The boxes weren't as good as my eighty piece score, but I'll take it! I've been on a hot streak lately!

View attachment 1361587
I think I got a small part of that 80 piece dump. I got a box with 14 in it, and was feeling pretty good about it until I read your post lol. 14crh.JPG

OP
OP
smalltownfisherman

smalltownfisherman

Sep 9, 2015
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I got a small part of that 80 piece dump. I got a box with 14 in it, and was feeling pretty good about it until I read your post lol. View attachment 1382700

Haha, I'd take 14 any day of the week! My avatar picture is from that 80-piece dime box. I have to admit, I've had the most fun searching dime boxes.

Most of my boxes average about 3-4 silver each.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions