You Want Real Coin Roll Hunting? I'll Give You Real Coin Roll Hunting!

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Everybody,

Since I joined this site back in October of last year, I have been getting a lot of flack for making this hobby look more glamorous on YouTube than it really is. Of course, us YouTubers have a slightly different agenda than the majority of you veteran coin roll hunters, but at the end of the day we enjoy finding the goodies just as much as you. We just choose to be more open about our finds and we are generally more inviting to the newbies.

This afternoon, I released a new video that might surprise you. This one is for everyone on here that ever gave me flack about glamorizing the hobby in the past. Make sure to watch until the end and enjoy!

Upvote 0

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That' s a more down to earth, realistic video. Better luck on your next hunt.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked out a seeming contradiction.

You state at the end "If you are going to try this, I hope you are into more than just silver or monetary value, but the coins themselves", words to that effect.
Yet, you also state that you are going to turn those that are not silver right back in.

I agree, nothing too exciting about face value clad - I think you left out an important part, "thrill of the chase", which is the only reason I can think of to spend hours of the day on a task that you already know is not likely to be fruitful.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You state at the end "If you are going to try this, I hope you are into more than just silver or monetary value, but the coins themselves", words to that effect.
Yet, you also state that you are going to turn those that are not silver right back in.

I wasn't particularly referring to half dollars when I said that. You're right, there isn't a lot to look for other than silver in this denomination. I was encouraging new comers to try other denominations where there is more than just silver. Nickels are definitely the best for this because you get a little bit of everything and they're relatively cheap at $100 per 2000 coins to search.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't particularly referring to half dollars when I said that. You're right, there isn't a lot to look for other than silver in this denomination. I was encouraging new comers to try other denominations where there is more than just silver. Nickels are definitely the best for this because you get a little bit of everything and they're relatively cheap at $100 per 2000 coins to search.

Oh, but you're wrong! There are many varieties and errors to look for when searching halves. Lately I find more of those than silver. It helps that people aren't looking for them!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, errors are another factor, something you will not discover just looking at the edge.

I tend to scrutinize paper currency for errors/star notes but rarely coins. But if I was buying coin rolls in bulk from the bank, I think I would.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel... that is true. But I don't imagine a young newbie finding any excitement in error coins that require a keen eye. I was pointing them towards things like buffalo nickels, wheat pennies, bicentennial quarters and the like. Types of coins that are both obvious to find and not silver. I find error searching to feel a lot more like a job...even though you have the chance of finding something that's worth good money. It's very tedious, but if that's what you're into then more power to you man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread