dimes, dimes, dimes, and a really amazing dime!

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Amazing find here! I've been on a dime kick lately, partly from finding a modern silver rosie and partly from wanting to find a merc (no such luck). My job has really taken a toll on my coin roll hunting, because I start work before the banks open and get off after they close. So a few days ago I took a longer-than-usual lunch break and stocked up on dimes. $2515 worth, to be exact. Took me 4 days to search them all, and altogether I found 12 silver dimes, all FDR's, lots of canadian, AND...I found what I consider to be my best find so far this year: a 1996-w! I never thought I'd find a West Point dime ever ever ever in a million years! It looks almost uncirculated, and yes, I'll try my darndest to post pics. I haven't felt this kind of rush since I found my first Walker!

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG fiatboy, that's definitely a tough one to find. I wonder how many hunters who edge-search missed one. The Merc is next!

coincollector101

May 8, 2007
Your Boss Sales them for 20-22 dollars hes got two prices for bu.
I did not even know about them.
I want one now, There Not Silver Right?
Ill keep my eyes out for one.
Im off to work and the bank.

CC

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
fiatboy said:
My job has really taken a toll on my coin roll hunting, because I start work before the banks open and get off after they close.

Welcome to the real world! - You'll figure out ways around that (commercial drive-thru, etc.).
Congrats on the dime! Are the W's for mint sets or proofs? I know they make the 1 oz. .999 silver rounds there.

low xtreme

Oct 5, 2006
georgia
good job man, love them dimes. where's the mint mark for the 96w located? i'll have to keep an eye out for one of them.

bill dilly

Feb 7, 2006
Wow, $2,515 worth of dimes?! That yielded only 12 silver dimes?! Considering you can buy those silver dimes for about $10, that is a LOT of work for less than Chinese slave labor wages. I guess I just don't understand searching dimes or anything smaller than half dollars. But then, I'm not a coin collector. I search in order to make a buck.
Congrats if that makes you happy.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice FB. I didn't know about those W's. I had to look in the Red Book. They sure didn't make many of those. Kudos!

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm still flying high from my find. :) I know there's no real profit in searching dimes, but I think it's fun in some meditative and bizarre kind of way. The mintmark is on the obverse above the date. What's ironic is that I usually just edge-search, but I decided to look for everything this time. I'm glad I did. The 1996-W is not silver---just plain old cupronickel. In fact, they're kind of underwhelming---just a dime with a W. haha. When I first saw it, I was confused, because I forgot that they even existed. What's that "w" doing there? ??? Then I remembered. :o It's in great shape, too. Probably AU/BU.

Feb 27, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, i'm a bit ignorant, whats the story behind the "W" mintmark?

Share with us the nature of the rarity of the find...

OP
OP
fiatboy

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Let's see....If I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me! I'm certainly no expert on the Roosevelt series. The West Point dime was only available through the Uncirculated Mint Sets, and is the only circulating coin that was struck at West Point. At least that's what they say, but not many actually circulate. 1996 was the only year it was struck, and it's regarded as one of the toughest dimes to find. It commemorates the 50th aniversary of the Roosevelt dime. The West Point Mint usually strikes collector-only coins like Platinum Eagles. umm...that's about all I know about it. Anyone know why the Mint even decided to strike the dime at West Point that year?

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
fiatboy said:
Let's see....If I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me! I'm certainly no expert on the Roosevelt series. The West Point dime was only available through the Uncirculated Mint Sets, and is the only circulating coin that was struck at West Point. At least that's what they say, but not many actually circulate. 1996 was the only year it was struck, and it's regarded as one of the toughest dimes to find. It commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Roosevelt dime. The West Point Mint usually strikes collector-only coins like Platinum Eagles. umm...that's about all I know about it. Anyone know why the Mint even decided to strike the dime at West Point that year?

From CoinFacts.com: This is the first appearance of the West Point, New York mintmark on a United States Dime. Issued and sold originally only in Mint sets.

There were also less than 1.5M were minted (versus the usual 1-1.5B of other dimes).

Awesome find and congrats fb !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread