THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been going through boxes of halves since December, 2010. I currently am going through five boxes a week. I will reach the half a million dollar mark next week. This past Wednesday I did my "bank run". For the last three weeks, I have found nothing. My wife makes cakes/breads to give to the tellers. I was going to eight different banks to give them their "treat". On my third stop, I went to a bank I only go to every couple of months to buy CWR's. Upon entering the two tellers recognized me, one saying he didn't have anything. The second had $60 in nickels. The manager said she had some coin and went to her vault. Once there she inquired what I was looking for again. I replied, "Pennies, nickels, dimes and halves". She brought out the cans of pennies, nickels and dimes. She said I have a roll of halves and laid it on the counter. I could see it was taped shut. She then opened it and searched it finding three 40%ers. She said she was keeping them for herself. I didn't say a word. I finished my "bank run" at 1345 hrs. Once home I first go through the four boxes of dimes. We had to leave at 1530 hrs., returning at 1800 hrs. I finished the dime boxes, finding two silver. I then open the five half boxes and stack them in the order I will search them. I get two from one bank and three from another. One of the three was taped shut because the box was falling apart. I opened it first. It was unbelievable. There were twelve enders. Four were Walking Liberties, three Bens and the rest Kennedys. The next two boxes showed no enders. The other two boxes showed two enders and one ender. As of this writing, I have gone through three and a half of the boxes. Box 1 - (1) Walking Liberty, (17) 40%ers. Box 2 - (33) 40%ers. Box 3 - (2) 90% Kennedys, (1) 1952 BTW/GWC Commemorative (9) 40%ers. Box 4 - (3) 90% Kennedys, (8) 40%ers. After posting this I will finish Box 4 then start on Box 5.

Upvote 0

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great. More luck to you.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'tis the season! Nice scores!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif

OP
OP
P

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Box five was UNBELIEVABLE. It contained 45 Walking Liberty, 38 Franklins, 1 90% Kennedy and 54 40%ers. I also found an 1860/50 Brazil 1000 Reis. It is also silver.
So the five boxes produced 1 Commemorative, 46 Walking Liberty, 38 Franklins, 7 90% Kennedy and 127 40%ers. With the current price of silver, this was close to $1,000.
With it's condition, the Brazilian coin is worth $30.00

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still would have said something. She had plenty of time to check the roll. It's just plain rude to do that in front of a customer. No cake for her, only dumps!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Box five was UNBELIEVABLE. It contained 45 Walking Liberty, 38 Franklins, 1 90% Kennedy and 54 40%ers. I also found an 1860/50 Brazil 1000 Reis. It is also silver.
So the five boxes produced 1 Commemorative, 46 Walking Liberty, 38 Franklins, 7 90% Kennedy and 127 40%ers. With the current price of silver, this was close to $1,000.
With it's condition, the Brazilian coin is worth $30.00

Poor Man - congrats. Sweet Cull of Silver. Yet, you have been here long enough to know that we need our silver p0rn fix. LJ would be disappointed.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding haul, right place at the right time. Congrats, and I think you finished your stack for the year. HH

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I still would have said something. She had plenty of time to check the roll. It's just plain rude to do that in front of a customer. No cake for her, only dumps!
Used to be I would have agreed with ya'. However, guess I'm getting too old to bicker. In this particular situation, I'd simply treat the manager and tellers just as I always had - just like it's just another ho-hum day. If he complains, he might lose that location altogether. If he does anything a little extra for them or mentions 'The Haul', she might wise up and never let another roll out the door without her MUCH closer inspection. ...Let's just hope she doesn't visit Tnet! :laughing7:

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a long time since I can write DREAM BOX! Congrats

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mind them telling me what they find. It's when I'm buying a roll they don't have the right to search it.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SHE SEARCHED IT AND PULLED KEEPERS:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:??THAT WOULD HAVE FROSTED MY CAKEA WORD COMES TO MIND________________________OH, YEAH----THAT WOULD BE CALLOUSWHAT A WEENIE

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! Congrats on the Dream box. That mean teller probably had ugly kids

OP
OP
P

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Round 2 is getting ready. I had to work this week, so my "bank run" will be on Saturday. The bank that orders my two boxes of halves is closed on Saturdays. So my wife goes to the bank and picks them up for me. This was done on Thursday. Last night I opened them to see if there were any enders. The boxes had the same number on them as the ones last week. Sure enough, between the two boxes there were six enders, all Kennedys. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
P

Poor Mans Gold

Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through the boxes. Here are my finds. Two Walking Liberty, one Franklin, six 90% Kennedy's and a hundred twelve 40% Kennedy's. Not quite the haul of last week, but I'm not complaining. With this weeks 40%ers, it places me above the 2,000 mark found. With last weeks count, the 40%ers were at two hundred thirty-nine. Not bad. I also pulled a 1961 British one penny.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I went through the boxes. Here are my finds. Two Walking Liberty, one Franklin, six 90% Kennedy's and a hundred twelve 40% Kennedy's. Not quite the haul of last week, but I'm not complaining. With this weeks 40%ers, it places me above the 2,000 mark found. With last weeks count, the 40%ers were at two hundred thirty-nine. Not bad. I also pulled a 1961 British one penny.

Eh, better luck next time!! ROFL.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread