Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of you probably saw my recent bank run hunt where I came out empty handed. I was under the impression that searching boxes is largely unproductive because of the low silver volume in general. I was hoping to score big on a collection dump by hitting up as many banks as possible. Well, this didn't work so I went back to boxes. Last week, I hunted $120 out of a box and was able to pull out one 1967. Not bad! This week, I had my credit union order a full box. This was my first full box and it blew me away.
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG

Totals for the box:
1x 1967
3x 1966 (two of which were enders)
1x 1965
1x 1964

It was a great hunt. The first roll I grabbed had a 1966 ender hiding on the backside! Then, I spotted another 1966 ender on the bottom half of the box, so I saved it for last. Then, the very last roll I opened before opening the 1966 ender roll had three in it! 1967, 1966, and finally...1964. MY FIRST 90%!!! What a feeling...I'll definitely be getting another box soon. Happy hunting everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats & Wish ya the best but that will probably be the best box you ever get lol

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice box. The productivity of boxes greatly depends on your area. How many other hunters, how many banks, and many other small factors that add up to how much silver is in boxes. You really have to just keep at it. If you look back at posts from 5 or 6 and even 8 years ago you will see there were
More dream boxes and boxes with a decent amount in them however many of these hunters still encountered very long skunk streaks and boxes with 1 or 2 silvers for long periods of time. I started back in 2011 and just this past winter I kept saying it's not like it used to be and bam I picked up 4 boxes all boxes had silver and one box had almost 50 in it. Guess what I'm trying to say for boxes to be productive you have to be productive and your area needs to be decent

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes boxes are hard hit in my area and I see their dead carcasses everywhere I go on the search for halves. When I hear "Halves??? How many can we give you? We have a lot, like five hundred" I back away slowly, then run.
I get on a skunk streak 4-5 boxes then get a few silvers, then 4-5 box skunk streak. Its atrociously low return for the risk of carting around hundreds of dollars in a city where they'll kill you for $20 (or free if they don't like you) but I like the idea of that dream box. I've only had one or two boxes that were "good" and many that were ok but the feeling of crunching through two skunk boxes in a row is soul crushingly underwhelming. It is all about your area so keep us posted. You may be in a hot spot with a good courier. Things change all the time. With BOA not giving out rolled coin (that's what they tell you anyway) more CWRs will end up in MWRs and boxes could get better in some instances. I've found that as soon as I get a system together what was working stops working and its back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys, I'll definitely keep you posted on how the future boxes go. I had my credit union order 4 more boxes solely based on all of the luck I've been seeing over the past few weeks. I gotta figure out a dumping situation first though because I am currently broke for cash :dontknow:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments guys, I'll definitely keep you posted on how the future boxes go. I had my credit union order 4 more boxes solely based on all of the luck I've been seeing over the past few weeks. I gotta figure out a dumping situation first though because I am currently broke for cash :dontknow:

Probably should have found a way to get rid of them before you ordered them. That was my biggest problem - just not enough dump banks. I had the sources to order as many boxes as I wanted, but couldn't come up with enough dump banks to do much volume at all, without driving 100+ miles roundtrip.

Assuming you can find willing dump banks, don't limit yourself to only boxes or CWR. Obviously, the more coins you search, the more silver you are going to find. I prefer CWR or even bags from coin counters, but those can be hard to find sometimes. Boxes give you consistent, convenient coins to search. My advice is to order a set number of boxes weekly, but still acquire all the CWR you can. There are occasionally really good boxes out there, but the overwhelming majority of big scores on this forum during the years that I've been a member were from CWRs.

Also, do NOT be afraid of banks that have a large amount of CWRs. Sure, you will often just simply acquire someone else's dumps (same with boxes, fwiw), but you can't have that massive, once-in-a-lifetime score without a massive number of coins. My best score came from a bank that had $740 of CWRs.

One last piece of advice is to keep the hobby fun. The quest for more and more volume can often turn what used to be a fun activity into something more akin of a horribly low/no paying job.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably should have found a way to get rid of them before you ordered them. That was my biggest problem - just not enough dump banks.

Hey Bassman, just letting you know that I was able to secure a dump bank today after signing up for a new account. It sure is nice being a college kid- banks give us free accounts and to keep em open, you just gotta have $10 in em. I handed her a roll of halves for my $10 deposit and she laughed :laughing7: But I've had great experiences with the banks and bankers in my area so I'm fortunate for that. I'm looking forward to doing more half boxes in the future, but I probably won't withstand a skunk streak of more than 2 or 3. If that happens, I'll just go back to nickels or try dimes. At one box every one or two weeks plus a YouTube channel to keep up, I'm not really in a position to be hitting skunks. And like you said, gotta keep it fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread