Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like you only were looking at the edges of the coins. Did you inspect them by date? If not, you likely missed a lot of collectible, non silver coins.

At the end he found one coin by date it was a d series so yes he looked at the dates and mint marks..

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sort of does, if the type of box indicates a particular courier company.

My provider switched from cube to flat half boxes and finds have dropped dramatically. I have found some of my own markings, 6-12 months old. Not sure if that means that the whole supply here has changed, or someone has redumped them into my supply.

The thing that really matters is supplier, and they often use different boxes.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
At the end he found one coin by date it was a d series so yes he looked at the dates and mint marks..

He certainly didn't say so in the video, and judging how he looked at the edges of the coins and rerolled them on video without looking at the dates, I say this is not the case. Only 1 NIFC out of 1,000 MWR of Halves? That doesn't seem possible based on what I've seen on this and other forums where people are usually finding 10-20 per box.

Last edited:

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
What is it that you don't like about this David?

I'm guessing David doesn't like the video because it's not all that well done, to be honest. Your CRH videos, on the other hand, are done the right way and are very informative. His seem like he's just marketing his "Silver Searcher" name. What disturbed me the most with this particular video is he's taking coins out, only viewing their sides and then re-rolling them. I have a very hard time believing a box of halves would only produce a single NIFC coin... the vast majority of Half Dollar boxes usually produce 10 or more such coins.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jcole, I noticed a few things amiss with this guy since I posted that comment. It looks like he's been spamming this site and other to try and get views on his videos. That can be really annoying...and yeah, the quality could be better for sure. Thank you for the compliment on my videos! About the NIFCs...what I normally do is a thorough edge check and then I'll flip the coins over real quick just to see if there's anything cool like a coin with a hole in it (I like making necklaces out of these). Otherwise, if there's an NIFC that doesn't stick out by its edge, then I say it's probably not worth keeping anyway. I've got a really nice half dollar video coming out next Saturday I'm excited for y'all to see it.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The type of box means everything!!! You really need to get them unopened and unsearched. I picked up my box and it was all taped together in pieces. I opened it up to find all the rolls had been searched. Sucks when that happens. I mark the outside of the paper and place a bunch of brown paper wrapped halves if I ever need to dump a box so they can't just repackage it in the truck and drop it to someone else. If it happens again I may need to switch up my supplier which is tough because I have worked hard on my relationship with this bank and they are very nice about ordering for me. That's the name of the game, things are always changing.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Answer: type of box means absolutely nothing.

Yes and no actually.

If you were to compare your finds for String & Sons, LOOMIS, and the Fed (generic) boxes, for example, you would notice significantly different find rates. I specialize in nickels, and have found that I've found more low-mintage key date coins in LOOMIS rolls than the others by a wide margin, but they also produce less silver than the other two types of boxes that we get out here on the West coast. This is something I intend on studying in more depth in the coming months.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes and no actually.

If you were to compare your finds for String & Sons, LOOMIS, and the Fed (generic) boxes, for example, you would notice significantly different find rates. I specialize in nickels, and have found that I've found more low-mintage key date coins in LOOMIS rolls than the others by a wide margin, but they also produce less silver than the other two types of boxes that we get out here on the West coast. This is something I intend on studying in more depth in the coming months.

All of that depends on what area of the country you're in. Also, there are no "generic Fed" boxes.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING !!!

Rude Attack posts Deleted !
Respect All Our Members !!!!!

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING !!!

Rude Attack posts Deleted !
Respect All Our Members !!!!!

Thanks Jeff,

Just wanted to let you know that it is possible to criticize a person while remaining respectful. Not all criticism is meant to destroy. As a matter of fact, constructive criticism is one of the most useful tools for improvement. So, I'd hate to see my guy David here miss out on some constructive criticism just because it was misconstrued as slander by one of the mods. I know being a mod can be tough since you have to make a lot of tough calls, just giving you a heads up.

Best,
Ryan

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
All of that depends on what area of the country you're in. Also, there are no "generic Fed" boxes.

Out here in California we actually do have "generic" ones. The rolls just have "nickels" with no name such as LOOMIS or String & Son associated with them. The boxes are similar looking to the LOOMIS ones, but the rolls are not the same. For non CWR, the ratio of rolls I get here are approximately:

Generic: 50%
LOOMIS: 30%
String/Son: 20%

I've also encountered exactly ONE clear (see through) roll so far... I don't know who produces those out here.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, if you report a post and post doesn't disappear or isn't edited it means we found no issue with the post you reported.

NHB, we already have a clue, if you look you see the link was removed.. Attacking moderation is never a good idea.

RRyanq, as long as the "constructive criticism" follows our rules it is allowed..

OP
OP
D

david.jensen

Sep 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you didnt like it, I try to edit them as best I can. I am always improving and plan on getting better with time. I also will do sound checks for silver and look through for nifcs and proofs. Thanks for the feedback!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions