10 year old finds modern silver proof

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Last week we hunted 2 halves boxes, 1 dime, 1 nickel, 1 penny. Found a total of 11 40%ers, 2 silver Rosie's, 1 war nickel and a paltry 4 wheaties, but overall a very solid week. I have one dump bank with a coin counter that I only dump pennies, nickels and dimes (used to dump halves but it started rejecting them all, so I stuck to lower denominations). One reason I go there is I always do well on the 'ole reject chute. This weekend I found 2 40%ers, 2 silver quarters and 3 wheats (2 steel). Also found $3 US, $3 CAD, 8 tokens and coins from 13 different foreign countries. I saw the half bag had more than a few 40%ers. They wouldn't sell me the partial bag (Probably $150-200 in it) but said as soon as it's filled they'll sell it to me. I also asked for the quarters bag also, they said no problem and will call me when it's full. I'm at about a 25% success rate in getting bags in this situation so I'm excited but not too excited until the phone rings. So today I'm at the gym after work and the phone rings, the 10 year old is calling me from the wife's phone. He asked if a 1996 dime could be silver if it has an 'S' mintmark. I of course tell him them made a silver proof that year and he says he found one in a coinstar along with two cold quarters. When I get home, sure as heck he has a 1996-S 90% proof Rosie - super cool. Oddly enough we've only found about ~125 silver dimes and this is the 2nd silver proof (plus 1 clad proof). The first one was a 1962.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the 7 or so years that I have been doing this, I have given my phone number out to a great multitude of banks/tellers/vault tellers/branch managers that were supposed to call when the bag filled or someone cashed in halves, etc. I have received exactly ONE phone call in all that time.

At the very least, keep a very close eye on the bag and fill it yourself when it gets a bit closer. If you really want it, I strongly suggest you go get it now. Those things have a way of disappearing.

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice totals and good luck with the bag. Also, congrats on training up your kid right. Mine was interested about as long as it took for him to realize he was going to get his hands dirty.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal. Now to get them to save it.....a whole other problem. But that is really cool he is alert to them. Congrats on keeping his interest.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Got the from the teller yesterday, picked the bags up today. 24 total silver halves including an XF '48. About 1/2 way through quarters with only a lone '64 thus far. Teller was glad to get rid of them. Going to try to score more bags of all denominations moving forward.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread