Got a bag...and lost out on 5 others!

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I go to my one reliable pick up bank to get some halves they ordered. Even though they aren't really producing at all, I'm still trying. I get there and she says "we only have two boxes". First off, I know that's not the number they should have, so that means someone else got at least two of my boxes. I took it in stride and decided to mix things up a bit. She let me stand at the door, about 20 feet from the vault, and pick out what I wanted. I was expecting to get 4 boxes of halves and 2 of nickels so I asked for the 2 boxes of halves, 2 of nickels, one of dimes and one of cents (I've never done cents before). I also happen to see at least 6 bags of coins.

The vault manager comes over to tell me she'll order more halves for me and I say "Would it be possible for me to buy the bags from you?" She says no, we "sell" those to Loomis. I can see the wheels turning and the light bulb goes off. I can do that, what do you want to buy? She realized she doesn't have to clog up her vault or take the risk on the bags if I buy them. She might even be saving money, but I'm fairly new and not sure about that.

Anyway, she says I've got a bag of nickels that I'll sell you. I took it and she asked for the two boxes of nickels back. I figure it's worth a try so I make the swap. She did say the bag might be a little short, but I told her I would take the risk and not complain if they were. She also said she had 5 bags of quarters and they had $1000 each. Well, I didn't have enough money left to get a bag so she agreed to save me 2 bags to pick up Friday. My plan was to go through all the stuff I had last night, cash in, and take a little from savings so I could get 3 of the quarter bags on Friday and ask her to save the others for me for Saturday.

So I'm searching the two boxes of halves last night. 2 skunks
The box of dimes AND box of pennies were SOLID 2016 Ds.
The bag of nickels gave up two buffaloes, one a 1936 and one no-date. There were also 56 pre-60 nickels including my first ever 1950-D, which I'll will post a pic of tomorrow. No silver nickels were in the bag, but it was still fun to have the bag to search. I found half a dozen foreign coins, the oldest being a 1939 Mexican penny. I also found 3 cents, 2 dimes, 1 quarter and an elongated penny from one of those souvenir machines. Overall the bag was $1.07 short. Not to bad.

Fast forward to today. I go dump all the coins at one bank and race back over to the pickup bank to get 3 of the bags of quarters and...you guessed it, they were gone. The Loomis truck had come that morning and she forgot to tell them to save 2 bags for me! I was so mad on the inside, but played it cool and told her it was no big deal. The positive is that the tellers now know that I'll buy ANY bag off the machine and have my number. Since the counter is not accessible to customers and all the coins are dumped by tellers, and because they told me, I'm sure no one is dumping coins there. So hopefully the 2-3 quarter bags they get a week will produce.

I'll let you know when I get to search one!

Happy Hunting all!

Upvote 0

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i only had a small window at a bank to buy bags before they upgraded their machine to a Allison/Cummings, which doesn't use bags. It produced some great finds.

If I were you I would try to only buy bags at the bank, and maybe order your halves since they are willing and that bag may not fill up as quickly.

The fact you found some foreign in the bag is a good sign the machine isn't rejecting silver. You may see awesome results for dimes and halves. On the quarters don't get discouraged...I'd imagine it would be tough even with bags to score

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well give the quarters a try, but if you ever have to decide between a bag of qtr or bag of dimes, take the dimes.
You will consistently average 5-7 90%'ers from a bag of dimes (with an occasional 10+ bag). It is very unlikely that you would average 2 qtrs per bag (unlikely to average even 1 for every 5 bags).

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might as well give the quarters a try, but if you ever have to decide between a bag of qtr or bag of dimes, take the dimes.
You will consistently average 5-7 90%'ers from a bag of dimes (with an occasional 10+ bag). It is very unlikely that you would average 2 qtrs per bag (unlikely to average even 1 for every 5 bags).

I'll remember that. Thanks for the advice!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, definitely buy bags from the bank if you know no CRH'er is dumping there. I used to have that setup until upper management caught on and put an end to it-- although in about 14 quarter bags ($14,000), I probably found 3 or 4 silvers.

OP
OP
M

mrbks22

Sep 13, 2016
Texas
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, definitely buy bags from the bank if you know no CRH'er is dumping there. I used to have that setup until upper management caught on and put an end to it-- although in about 14 quarter bags ($14,000), I probably found 3 or 4 silvers.

I've read tons of your posts (I'm all the way back to page 156 so far) so thanks for the reply. I'm curious why upper mgmt would even care. They aren't losing money. If I'm taking the risk of the bags being short, they really aren't losing money.

I'm hoping to get most of their bags between now and Christmas at least to get some of that holiday silver I'm always reading about.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chances of getting more silver in bags around the holidays is higher, I would take advantage of that opportunity to get all the bags you can, as long as you know for a fact that there are no other CRH'ers who dump there-- maybe ask the tellers about that too. You are in fact saving the bank money since they don't have to pay for the coins to be processed. As for quarters, I would recommend still buying them if you can easily get rid of them.

You made it clear that you would take any losses and not complain-- that's what they want to hear. Hopefully upper management at your bank is okay with it, don't do anything to raise any red flags (don't mention to any tellers that a bag had a shortage or overage and always treat them right. tellers love sweets, just saying!)

Good luck!

I've read tons of your posts (I'm all the way back to page 156 so far) so thanks for the reply. I'm curious why upper mgmt would even care. They aren't losing money. If I'm taking the risk of the bags being short, they really aren't losing money.

I'm hoping to get most of their bags between now and Christmas at least to get some of that holiday silver I'm always reading about.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Well congrats on the 50-D! I'm at 198,880 nickels searched and still have yet to find one to complete my CRH Jefferson set... I will hit 200K searched tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread