Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should I.... OR Shouldn't I....

Been seriously considering taking the time to polish all my silver halves............just to make them all shiny!

I'd be doing it in the vibration tumbler I use for my shooting brass - mixture of coins, crushed corn cob and Silvo silver polish.

A few of them are fine as is. There are even a few that are in such good shape that cleaning is out of the question. But for the bulk of the 40% I think they'd look a lot better all clean and pretty.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Re: Should I.... OR Shouldn't I....

Depends. If all you are saving them for is to sell them for bulk silver someday, I say clean away.
If they are as a collection, with value as a collection I dunno.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

I agree with MalteseFalcon. If you only plan to sell them as silver then cleaning them is fine if you want them to shine. If you clean them much of their numismatic value is gone. Of course that is by todays standards. In the past it was common for people to clean their coin collection, now it is a big time value killer. Who knows how cleaning will be looked at years from now.

OP
OP
Phillip_in_NM

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

So do any of you think that any of the 40% halves will ever be of more value numismatically than for their silver value?

I know next to nothing about coin-collecting - as you've probably already gathered.

Thanks for your thoughts.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005

If they are your general halves you got from coin roll hunting, I would say no, unless it is an error or key date (like 1970). If they are your general garden variety Kennedy 40% half, silver content value is about all you will get out of them.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
;D

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I figure cleaning a "collectable" coin will lower the value and cleaning "bullion" coins is a waste of time. If you are going out to dinner and want to wear one around your neck, go ahead and shine that one up. ;D Cleaning them is like painting the inside of your dresser.......what for?

jemsdca

Apr 13, 2007

Never clean anything. There are some exceptions to this, if you can read the date in anyway don’t clean it.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

Unless they're exceptionally rare, in uncirculated condition, or you're saving them as part of a collection, clean to your heart's content. They're just bullion, right? No matter then.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

packerbacker, ROTFLMAO

OP
OP
Phillip_in_NM

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment