Took a Break from Halves to Harvest some WHEAT

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm almost exclusively a half dollar hunter but an opportunity came by that I just couldn't pass up! While making my routine dumps, I checked the reject chute of one of the machines as I finished and snagged a handful of 10 wheaties or so. So as regular dumpers will likely understand, that instantly made me wonder how many more made it through the machine and INTO a bag.

Sure enough while my half dollar bag change was being completed, off came the penny bag as well which I could clearly see was topped off with WHEAT. I've never had any luck convincing banks to sell me bags, but since I am a regular they begrudgingly let me swap in $50 for the bag (as long as it doesn't become a habit).

Got the bag home and got to sorting with the fiancee... yes, she even helped with 5,000 pennies! Right off the bat we were getting handfulls of wheats and coppers. Wheatie after wheatie piled up...

IMAG1481.jpg

Here are the results:

Wheaties-----------------707
1959-1981 Coppers-----1141
Zinc---------------------3112
Dimes----------------------10
Canadian-------------------14

Not much super old, mostly 40's and 50's dates, no '55DDO... Oldest were 1913, 1918 and 1920, commons.

One other notable was this 1953-D clipped planchet, neat find!

IMAG1479_1.jpg

Oh, and also while dumping, the machine errored another $2.20 in my favor :thumbsup: Fun to shake things up once in a while when possible, especially when the silver is dry. Happy hunting!

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
All Canadian cents through 1996 are also copper.

OUTSTANDING haul!! :headbang:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats on the dump... Did you check to see if you could buy the nickel, dime, and quarter bags too? I know you don't want to push your limits, but if they dumped that many wheats maybe there was silver mixed in with their other coins too.

OP
OP
Avago

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Buff, I definitely thought about it! But like you said, I didn't want to push my luck with them. I dump a lot there and didn't want to spoil anything. Plus, I only got a handful of rejected wheat... If there was a silver dime or two mixed in there I would've bought out the entire machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread