enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't watch videos anymore. Some people are thin skinned when you critique them! Lol!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't watch videos either -- -- data cap. :-\

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that 42 war nickel was cleaned or plated? It almost looks like somebody plated it with something.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find it in the crh forum. I'm not gonna say names because I'm done with them and blocked their posts from now on. One person even called me a troll. Don't have time for people like that.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think that 42 war nickel was cleaned or plated? It almost looks like somebody plated it with something.

I hadn't even considered that it might be plated. That is a possibility, I had just assumed that it was cleaned. It's very slick and very worn.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find it in the crh forum. I'm not gonna say names because I'm done with them and blocked their posts from now on. One person even called me a troll. Don't have time for people like that.

Interesting...well you know I really enjoy critique and I'm always up for a good argument. I've had a few good arguments on this forum, some weren't so good but either way, I'm down for the discussion.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I've watched none of your videos thus far, nor do I comment on posts much these days, but I'm planning on getting back into the hunt in 2017 and really hitting the nickel and cent boxes like I used to. I think as further motivation I'm gonna check this vid out!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There was one time many many years ago that I polished a War Nickel by rubbing it as much as possible on my pair of blue-jeans and it made it become a mirror like appearance. Not a smart move, but it doesn't take much to shine a war nick.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was one time many many years ago that I polished a War Nickel by rubbing it as much as possible on my pair of blue-jeans and it made it become a mirror like appearance. Not a smart move, but it doesn't take much to shine a war nick.

lol how did the jeans fare after that experience?

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool video. I've seen nickels like that 42-P before... saw a few in my dealer's junk bin... It looks plated. Also, nice find on that scarce S-mint (I won't reveal the date so others have to watch the video). Always nice to knock off a hole... And yes, that '55 Philly is tough... I've found two EVER, and only 1 in about 280,000 coins searched during my run of CRH this year.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool video. I've seen nickels like that 42-P before... saw a few in my dealer's junk bin... It looks plated. Also, nice find on that scarce S-mint (I won't reveal the date so others have to watch the video). Always nice to knock off a hole... And yes, that '55 Philly is tough... I've found two EVER, and only 1 in about 280,000 coins searched during my run of CRH this year.

Thanks for checking it out! I have a feeling that it's going to be a long time before I fill another hole in the collection. I am getting down to the very last few now. So you think the war nickel is plated is some kind of chrome or something? That's interesting...I wonder why you would want to do that lol.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for checking it out! I have a feeling that it's going to be a long time before I fill another hole in the collection. I am getting down to the very last few now. So you think the war nickel is plated is some kind of chrome or something? That's interesting...I wonder why you would want to do that lol.

You're welcome. A lot of what you find depends on the part of the country you live in... I'm in Southern California, so the S-mints are out there to be found. I've found at least 4 of every year of them including the 1938-S(4), 1939-S(5) and 1942-S(5)... The 1943-S is almost a common coin as I've found a staggering 26 of them! Even the 1938-Ds do show up sometimes as I've found 4 of them. Conversely, the P-mints can be hard for me. I've only found 4 1950 Ps, and just the aforementioned 1 1955-P... The three hardest coins to find though are likely the 1950-D, 1939-D, and 1943-D as I'm sure you know... I just need the 1950-D to finish my set. The key is just to keep searching as much as possible. :icon_thumright:

As for your shiny coin, I saw some 1942-Ps in my dealer's junk War Nickel bin just like that one a couple of months ago. I took one just out of curiosity.
IMG_20161213_0006.jpg
I think it might be like with what people did with steel cents and "reprocessed" them with another coat of zinc just to try and make them look better. It may indeed be chrome, but I'm not sure. I'll ask my dealer on Thursday when I go in there.

Last edited:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I also don't watch videos. Uses up too much of my data. Is it too much to ask for you guys to also just post a pic or 2 of the good stuff for those of us who pass over the videos ?

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I also don't watch videos. Uses up too much of my data. Is it too much to ask for you guys to also just post a pic or 2 of the good stuff for those of us who pass over the videos ?

The idea is to get people to watch the videos. When they're well done like Ryan's, that is part of the fun of it. Just use your PC then.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . Is it too much to ask for you guys to also just post a pic or 2 of the good stuff for those of us who pass over the videos ?
CRH videos are considered an annoying novelty by many here (or an inconvenient substitute). OP claims to want to be an appreciated contributor to the forum community. If that were true, a couple of PICs in addition to the revenue-generating youtube link would lend credibility to that claim.

The idea is to get people to watch the videos. . .
This is precisely why many find it annoying and/or manipulative.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The idea is to get people to watch the videos. When they're well done like Ryan's, that is part of the fun of it. Just use your PC then.

I am! :crybaby2:

I can't speak for NHBandit, but the only internet available to us here is cellular. I'm already so far ahead on usage for this month that I'm probably going to have to upgrade to the next level in order to save a little money. ...I wonder if I can skip back down again next month? :laughing7:

ADDED: "I can't speak for NHBandit, but the only internet available to us here is cellular."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread